El Paso high school athletes will be committing to play college sports today.
National Signing Day has become a major event with several schools holding signing ceremonies throughout the Borderland on Wednesday.
Here is a list of high school athletes who are signing. KTSM will continue to update this list as the day goes on.
- Caleb Gerber, a running back, will play FBS Division 1 football in the Air Force Academy. Gerber is the District 1-6A MVP, a Blue-Gray All-American athlete, a first team all-city player, and a Greater El Paso Football Showcase Senior All-Star.
- Mario Carmona, offensive lineman, will sign with Western New Mexico University. The senior was a first team all-district, and first team all-city player. He also was a Greater El Paso Football Showcase Senior All-Star.
- C.J. Beanes, a safety, also will sign with Western New Mexico University. Beanes was a first team all-district player and a Greater El Paso Football Showcase Senior All-Star.
- Dasen Chisolm, will sign with Western New Mexico University or Tarleton State University. The three-year starter was a second team all-district athlete for two consecutive years, and was in the all-star selection.
- Jason Fernandez, the starting quarterback, will sign with Southwestern Assemblies of God University in Waxahachie, TX. The offensive captain garnered 1,596 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and 329 rushing yards to go with three touchdowns on the ground. The football standout also won the first-ever Greater El Paso Football Showcase Quarterback Challenge.
- Richard Lara, offensive tackle for the Rams football team, will sign with Western New Mexico University. Lara was a unanimous first team all-district selection, an El Paso All-Star selection, and was the Offensive Line MVP of the All-Star game.
- Eric Ramirez, outside linebacker, also will sign with Western New Mexico University. Ramirez was the team’s defensive captain. He completed the season with 237 tackles, including eight for a loss, four sacks, three caused fumbles, two fumble recoveries, one blocked punt, and one interception. He was a first team all-district selection, an El Paso All-Star selection, and positional MVP of the All-Star game.
- David Marentes, a linebacker, will sign with Trinity International College in Deerfield, IL. The special teams captain recorded 33 tackles during the 2018 season.
- Mario Luna, will sign with University of Texas Permian Basin. Luna is an all-city, all-district athlete, and a Region 1 qualifier.
- Natalie Gonzalez, a forward in the girls’ soccer team, will sign with Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Gonzalez was a first team all-district, and first team all-city player. Her junior year, Gonzalez was the District 1-6A Offensive Player of the Year.
- Riley Perez, center midfielder, will sign with Our Lady of The Lake University. Perez was a first team all-district player her freshman and junior year, and a second team all-district player her sophomore year.
- Irania Acosta, a center back defense, will sign with Sam Houston State University. Acosta was named a first team all-district player her junior year, and a second team all-district player her sophomore year.
- Amelia Causey, left back defense, will sign with Seminole State College. Causey was a first team all-district player her junior year, and a second team all-district player her sophomore year.
- Will Williams, DB, Baylor
- Lama Lavea, DT, NMSU
- Quintavius Workman, WR, UTEP
- Julian Lopez, TE, UTEP (Preferred Walk-On)
- Jalen Joseph – UTEP
- Mark Ramos – UTEP
- Raymond Montez, QB, UTPB
- Danny Cortez, WR/DB, Valley City State University
- Karch Gardiner, WR/DB, Arkansas (Preferred Walk-On)
- Deion Hankins – UTEP
- Khatib Lyles – North Texas
- Eddie Cruz, WR, Western New Mexico University
- Jack Niland, OL, TCU (Preferred Walk-On)
- Taj Crenshaw, ATH, UTPB
- Isaiah Quijas, ATH, Oklahoma Panhandle State University