New Mexico State Universities coaching staff revealed the 10 new players who will join the Aggies next season.
Of the 10 signees, seven are soon-to-be high school graduates, while three will be transferring from junior colleges.
“We feel that we have filled all our needs especially for the immediate future on defense,” head coach Doug Martin said in a news release. “The defensive personnel we are bringing in is the best we have ever signed here.”
He added: “Offensively we added to an already very good wide receiver corps and addressed our future needs on the offensive line and at quarterback. Overall I feel this is the best class we have ever signed and we look forward to being back in another bowl game soon.”
Here is a list and biography of all 10 players as released by NMSU:
- 6-0 | 190 | Redshirt Junior | DB
- Oklahoma State | Canadian, Texas
- 2018 (Junior): Redshirted
- 2017 (Sophomore): A first-team Academic All-Big 12 selection who was honored by the coaches with Oklahoma State’s outstanding walk-on award… Appeared in every game and started in the secondary against Kansas State… Served as a game captain against South Alabama and Kansas State… Recorded eight tackles, seven of which were solo stops… His seven tackles on kickoffs were good for third on the team.
- 2016 (Freshman): Played in 12 games for Oklahoma State… Recorded four total tackles, including a career-high two at Iowa State… Had one tackle for loss against Southeastern Louisiana… Was a leader of Oklahoma State’s kickoff coverage unit and his work factored into OSU leading the Big 12 and ranking 19th nationally in kickoff coverage at 18.3 yards per return… Helped the Cowboys lead the nation in opponent starting field position.
- High School: Played for coach Chris Keotting at Canadian High School… An all-district selection all four years of his high school football career… Named all-state as a junior and senior and district MVP as a senior… Part of two state championship teams… Played a big role playing both ways as a senior, totaling 223 carries for 2,122 yards and 32 touchdowns on 9.5 yards per carry, completing two pass attempts for 98 yards and two touchdowns, making 86 total tackles with three interceptions and two PAT blocks on defense and returning three kickoffs, 19 punts and three interceptions for a total of 584 yards and two touchdowns… Also competed for the track and field team, winning a state championship as part of the 4×400-meter relay team with a split of 48.5 seconds and finishing as state runner-up in the 300-meter intermediate hurdles… Named to the academic all-district team all four years.
Rashie Hodge Jr.
- 6-0 | 215 | Junior | LB
- Glendale CC | Phoenix, Ariz.
- 2018 (Sophomore): Started in all 11 games for the Gauchos… Was second on the team in total tackles with 57.0 and had a team-high 10 tackles for loss… Led Glendale CC in sacks with 5.5 and reeled in a team-leading four interceptions for 89 yards… Tied for the team lead with three forced fumbles and led the conference with seven fumble recoveries for 128 yards… Recorded a season-high nine tackles against Pima CC and added an interception returned 34 yards for a touchdown… Had three games with multiple fumble recoveries… Brought in a season-high two interceptions for 55 yards against Mesa CC… Posted a season-high three sacks for a loss of 1 yards in the season opener against Scottsdale CC.
- 2017 (Freshman): Appeared in nine games as a freshman at Glendale CC… Began the season at running back with 18 rushes for 70 yards… Had 13 carries for 48 yards in the season opener against Phoenix College… Moved to defense and compiled 13 tackles with one for loss… Added one sack and a forced fumble.
- High School: Played three seasons of varsity football at Mountain Pointe HS under head coach Norris Vaughan… Helped lead the Pride to a 13-1 overall record and an appearance in the Conference 6A State Championship as a senior in 2016… Played in all 14 games in his final season at Mountain Pointe… Had 126 carries for 1,126 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior… Added 18 receptions for 383 yards and four scores in 2016… Posted 60 tackles with 8.5 for loss and one sack in his final season… Added two interceptions returned for 123 yards and one touchdown during the 2016 season… Had three fumble recoveries for 83 yards and a pair of scores in his senior campaign… Finished his career with 108 tackles including 3.5 sacks, five interceptions and one forced fumble… Also was a member of the varsity basketball team and varsity track and field squad.
- 6-4 | 315 | Junior | DL
- Coffeyville CC | Wilmington, N.C.
- 2018 (Sophomore): Started in nine games as a sophomore for the Red Ravens… Compiled 31 total tackles with four for loss and one sack… Recorded a season-high seven tackles against Highland CC… Had a season-high two tackles for loss in the season opener against Iowa Western CC… Posted multiple tackles in all nine games.
- 2017 (Freshman): Made an appearance in 10 games as a freshman at Coffeyville CC… Recorded eight tackles with one for loss in his rookie season… Had a season-high four tackles at Garden City… Registered at least one tackle in four different games during his freshman year.
- High School: Played varsity football at New Hanover HS under head coach Earl Smith… Named player of the week in a rivalry win after recording seven tackles and a pair of fumble recoveries during his senior season… Was invited to play in the NC/SC Shrine Bowl in 2016… Helped lead the Wildcats to a 12-3 overall record and appearance in the 4A State Regional Finals as a junior.
- 6-3 | 275 | Freshman | OL
- Murrieta Valley HS | Murrieta, Calif.
- High School: Compiled three seasons of varsity football at Murrieta Valley HS under head coach George Wilson… Helped the Nighthawks to a 26-11 overall record over his three seasons… Anchored an offensive line that allowed the passing attack to throw for 3,166 yards and 32 touchdowns during his senior campaign… Blocked for a rushing attack that ran for 1,914 yards and 26 scores in 2018… Led the Nighthawks to an 11-3 overall record and appearance in the Division 2 State Championship as a sophomore.
- 5-11 | 216 | Freshman | LB
- Taylor HS | Katy, Texas
- High School: Played three years of varsity football at Taylor HS… Was named a six-time Player of the Game by MaxPreps during his career, including four times during his senior season… Started in all 12 games for the Mustangs in 2018… Recorded 92 total tackles with two for loss as a senior… Added three sacks for a loss of 10 yards and had five quarterback hurries in his final season… Helped the Mustangs to a 9-3 overall record and first round win in the 2016 Conference 6A D2 State Tournament.
- 6-3 | 215 | Freshman | LB
- Venice HS | Venice, Fla.
- High School: Transferred to Venice HS and played all 14 games under head coach John Peacock his senior season… Helped the Indians to a 12-2 overall record and appearance in the Class 7A State Semifinal in 2018… Recorded a team-high 168 total tackles with 9.0 for loss during his senior campaign… Added one sack for a loss of seven yards in 2018… Wrapped up his senior year with two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and two interceptions… Played varsity basketball at Charlotte HS.
- 6-1 | 220 | Freshman | LB
- Trinity Christian HS | Cedar Hill, Texas
- High School: Three-year varsity football letterman at Trinity Christian HS under head coach Troy Williams… Helped lead the Tigers to a 26-1 overall record in his final two seasons… Led the team to a 14-0 overall record and a win in the Division II State Championship… Played in all 14 games during his senior campaign… Had 128 carries for 969 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2018… Wrapped up his senior season with 12 receptions for 144 yards and one score… Registered 62 total tackles with 12 for loss and seven sacks in his final year… Had three fumble recoveries for 39 yards and one touchdown in 2018… Wrapped up his high school career with 180 tackles, 28.0 for loss, 8.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries… Also a two-year varsity basketball player.
- 6-6 | 275 | Freshman | OL
- Ingleside HS | Ingleside, Texas
- High School: Was a four-year varsity football letter winner at Ingleside HS under head coach Hunter Hamrick… Anchored a pass block that allowed the Mustangs offense to throw for 1,154 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018… Also led a run block that allowed the ball carriers to rush for 1,692 yards and 21 scores his senior season… Added 23 tackles with three for loss in his final season.
- 6-1 | 190 | Freshman | DB
- Saguaro HS | Scottsdale, Ariz.
- High School: Played three years of varsity football at Saguaro HS under head coach Jason Mohns… Was a three-time class 4A State Champion… Helped the Sabercats to a 13-1 overall record and their sixth consecutive 4A State Championship to cap off his senior season… Recorded 24 tackles and one forced fumble in 2018… Added one interception and four pass breakups during his senior campaign… Had 27 tackles in 11 games as a junior… Registered one fumble recovery and 10 passes defensed in 2017… Wrapped up his high school career with 58 tackles over 28 games.
Jason Simmons Jr.
- 6-0 | 175 | Freshman | DB
- Lancaster HS | Lancaster, Texas
- High School: Two-year varsity football letterman at Lancaster HS under head coach Chris Gilbert… Recorded 85 total tackles during his senior season… Also forced three fumbles in 2018 and added five pass breakups… Was named to the second-team all-district in his final season at Lancaster HS.