EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – A pedestrian who was trying to cross I-10 for unknown reasons, was struck and killed by a truck Wednesday night.
Thursday morning, El Paso Police Department (EPPD) officials identify the victim as 71-year-old Alfonso Medina Varela of the Mission Valley.
EPPD officials say the incident happened at approximately 9:40 p.m. on I-10 East, near Giles Road, when a 2007 pickup truck driven by 55-year-old Jose Luis Vazquez Moreno, struck a man who was crossing the freeway by foot.
Moreno remained at the scene and called for police assistance.
The El Paso Police Department’s Special Traffic Investigations (STI) is investigating this collision.
This is the 35th traffic fatality of the year compared to 30 at the same time last year. STI continues the investigation.
- Commissioners court to make decision on women’s commission Monday
- Officer-involved wreck sends 2 to hospital
- 2 men stabbed at West El Paso house party
- EPPD asking for public’s help in Central El Paso murder investigation
- Dog days of summer adoption event
- River Cats top Chihuahuas 5-3 in Sunday series finale