The U.S. Consulate General has issued a security alert for Juarez and Chihuahua City following a series of attacks on police officers.
Authorities say members of the Mexicles gang are behind some of the ambushes, including the one involving a city bus set on fire last Thursday.
Eight police officers were killed in a single attack last week.
Government employees are encouraged to avoid police stations and other law enforcement facilities in both cities.
Authorities also recommend following these precautions:
- For police and other emergency assistance, dial 911.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Use caution when driving in heavy traffic or at night.
- Drive with your doors locked and windows up.
- Be prepared to take alternative routes between home and work and other frequent locations.