US 70 and US 82 have reopened after winter weather conditions shut down the highways Friday evening, according to the New Mexico Department of Transportation.
Dangerous driving conditions may still exist in the area, as the roads remain icy. Use caution in the area.
US 54 from mile marker 80 (near White Sands) to mile marker 169 (South of Corona) remains closed due to hazardous conditions.
NMDOT crews are salting and plowing the area.
Several New Mexico roadways are closed Friday evening due to winter weather conditions, including some highways in the southern portion of the state.
A KTSM Weather Authority Alert is in place with snow and freezing temperatures in the forecast.
El Paso and Las Cruces are expected to see about three inches of snow, while Cloudcroft could have more than eight inches.
According to the New Mexico Department of Transportation, the following are roads are being affected:
- US 82 from mile marker 0 (Alamogordo) to mile marker 16 (Cloudcroft) is closed in all directions
- Crews are salting and snow plowing the roads
- US 70 from mile marker 230 to mile marker 260 (between Ruidoso Downs and Tularosa) is closed in all directions
- Travel is “highly discouraged” in that area
- Ruidoso has no available overnight accommodations; seek shelter in nearby areas
NMDOT cameras near the Organ Mountain show very icy roads and limited visibility. Officials are urging drivers to stay inside and off the roads.
For cameras and other up-to-the-minute New Mexico traffic information, click HERE.