AUSTIN (KXAN) — A downward PTSD spiral leads a veteran to shoot up his parents’ Comal County home, resulting in a four-year pre-trial loop between jail and state hospitals.
That’s part of the story KXAN investigators are telling in the third, standalone season of the Catalyst podcast, which accompanies our “Locked in Limbo” investigation into the long waits mentally ill inmates in Texas face in order to get help.
More from this investigation
- Explore videos of personal stories and solutions
- Read the article about the Texas inmate backlog and wait times for state hospital help
- Listen to the podcast about a family’s efforts to get their veteran son help after he shot up their home
- Use our resource page for mental health and jail and justice support
- Read about how a murdered woman’s loved ones still search for justice 20 years later
- Read about solutions and alternatives to the current mental competency restoration system
- Read about the background and efforts behind this investigation