EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — A man was shot and killed while in critical care at a Juárez hospital, adding to a bloody list of homicides this year.
The unknown shooter entered the hospital disguised as a hospital staff member before approaching Héctor Antonio Ramirez, who had been under the hospital’s care for two weeks.
Ramirez, 36, was not accompanied by law enforcement when he was shot several times, including once to his head. He was in the hospital after suffering wounds from a shooting weeks ago.
The unknown shooter escaped from the hospital and law enforcement authorities are reviewing security footage of the scene.
Juárez residents witnessed several governmental agencies blocking off the hospital after shooting.
Mayor Armando Cabada said a request to guard him was never made.
“You need an order (for a guard), an official request but in this case, one was not made,” he said.
Juárez has recorded 1,635 homicides this year, according to state figures.
- Celina’s Friday Forecast on KTSM 9
- Weather on the go: Dense Fog Advisory remains for Friday morning before clearing
- City of El Paso seeks federal assistance as it prepares for possible ‘migrant surge’ amid pandemic
- Bills one win away from Super Bowl as ‘Pancho Power’ lives on
- El Paso immigration advocates say complications remain for migrants waiting in Juarez despite end to ‘Remain in Mexico’