EL PASO, TX (KTSM)- El Paso Police say the crash that shut down a stretch of I-10 westbound at Sunland Park Drive has produced the 38th traffic death. Isaias Joel Garcia, a 22-year-old male from Vinton, TX, was identified as the deceased.
Special Traffic Investigations (STI) responded to a collision that occurred at I-10 West / MM 12 (Resler) at 2:30 a.m. Monday morning.
The preliminary investigation revealed the 2005 Ford Mustang driven by Garcia was at a complete stop on I10 West MM12 for unknown reasons. At the same time, the 2015 GMC Sierra driven by Juana Elizabeth Caballero Macias, a 29-year-old female from Las Cruces, New Mexico, with a 23-year-old passenger, Christina Hernandez.
Caballero was traveling west bound on I-10 and struck the Ford Mustang. Macias and Hernandez were transported to the hospital due to injuries sustained in the collision. Garcia succumbed as a result of the injuries sustained in the collision.
The main contributing factor in this collision is the Ford Mustang being at a complete stop on I-10 West / MM 12. Special Traffic Investigators are continuing with the investigation.
KTSM crews captured video showing the crash involved a dark colored pick-up truck with heavy front-end damage and a mustang with the back side completely smashed in with massive damage throughout this vehicle.
Stay with KTSM 9 News Today and online for the latest updates.
- Exclusive 9 day forecast: Near triple digits Friday
- Six El Paso nonprofits chosen for Gator Tank Event
- El Paso United and County of El Paso expand rental & utility services
- TTUHSC researcher receives Pancreatic Cancer Foundation grant
- Migrants waiting in Tijuana shelter see ‘Remain in Mexico’ ruling as a ray of hope
- Honduran family on MPP ordered deported as Supreme Court lets Trump-era policy end