HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is warning parents to be on the lookout for a rare polio-like condition that affects children.
The health agency says it is preparing for a possible outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, a life threatening condition that affects the nervous system.
The CDC says cases tend to spike every two years.
The most common symptoms are sudden limb weakness, respiratory illness and fever.
AFM can lead to permanent disability.
Latest stories on KHON2
- Social media influencer charged in 2016 voter suppression scheme
- The ‘Wolf Moon’ will rise in the sky this week – here’s how you can best view it
- Federal government unseals secret coronavirus reports, see your state’s data
- El Paso International Airport already on board with mask mandate for travelers
- Workforce Solutions Borderplex helps collect winter clothes for migrant and seasonal farmworkers