Attention, pet parents!
Each year on July 5, the Department of Animal Services receives numerous calls of pets that escape after being scared by fireworks — the loud noises and bright lights can cause a lot of stress.
El Paso Animal Services recommends following these tips to keep your furbabies safe this 4th of July holiday:
- Avoid taking pets out to fireworks shows
- Keep pets inside, preferably with the curtains closed
- Take pets outside to relieve themselves before fireworks start
- Turn on the TV or radio to help mask noises
- Keep a well-fitting (but not too tight) collar and ID tags on your pet
- Make sure your pet is microchipped and licensed
- Place your pet in its crate (if crate-trained)
- Stay with your pet
- If the pet must be outside, keep it leashed or in a carrier at all times
The Animal Services shelter, located at 5001 Fred Wilson, will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, July 4 and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, July 5.