UPDATE: El Paso Fire department reported the incident under control at 12:32 a.m. The shelter in place order was lifted and one patient was transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – An ammonia leak is impacting the Lower Valley.
It happened about 6 p.m. at Farmers Select Dairy at 7321 N. Loop and is impacting the nearby El Paso Community College Valle Verde campus.
One person was transported to the hospital.
The community college issued a shelter in place order and then decided to evacuate the Valle Verde campus as much as possible.
Deputy Fire Chief Rick Carson said a few people had to be evacuated and firefighters are working with maintenance crews at the diary to completely shut off the leak.
“It is an ongoing situation,” he said. “You can still smell a few pockets of ammonia, which is to be expected.”
Fire officials are urging residents near the leak to shelter in place, turn off their heating and cooling systems temporarily and close windows and doors.
Temporary shelter is available at North Loop and Hawkins, if needed.
The Texas Department of Transportation El Paso District is reporting that North Loop is closed in both directions between Hawkins and Hunter because of what they termed a Hazmat situation.
Emergency responders could be seen at the main EPCC campus.
Firefighters remain on the scene doing, investigating the incident.
Clearing time is until further notice.