TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA)—A man was arrested in St. Petersburg, Florida this week on suspicion of stealing and killing a horse that was found butchered last year in Palmetto, according to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies said the horse was found dead in a field after it was stolen from a stable on Dec. 1, 2019, and that it had been slaughtered for its meat.
Authorities said they obtained surveillance video placing the suspect, Eladio Garcia-Gasca, at the scene of the crime. The video allegedly shows him walking up to the stables shortly before the animal was stolen.
Garcia-Gasca, 40, was arrested at his home and booked into the Pinellas County Jail. He is charged with grand theft and animal cruelty.
- Climate change doubles likelihood of ‘megastorms,’ extreme flooding in California: study
- These are the best states to have a baby, study finds – where does yours rank?
- 10 films turning 10 in 2022
- Here’s how government documents are classified to keep sensitive information safe
- Las Vegas family hopeful that remains found at Lake Mead are Army veteran who drowned saving wife