LAS CRUCES, NM (KTSM) – Dona Ana County Sherriff’s Office (DASO) Deputies say that a man is dead after a sequence of events that ended in him shooting at deputies, and deputies returning fire.
Officials say it happened in Chaparral, NM at 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning.
DASO Deputies went to a home along the 100 block of Iron Horse regarding a loud noise and shots being fired. The suspect’s neighbor made the complaint.
Deputies found that that man at the address “did commit negligence when discharging his weapon.” The neighbor (caller) declined to pursue any charges.
At around 5 a.m. deputies were sent to the same area by earlier caller regarding the same male subject, however this time he was ramming his neighbor’s vehicle with his own vehicle.
Two DASO deputies, along with Otero County Sheriff’s Office and the Anthony Police Department arrived minutes later and began searching vacant land in the area for the suspect.
Deputies said at 5:38 a.m., the suspect began firing his weapon, and this continued until 6:10 a.m.
Officials say an investigation into the incident is underway and a press conference will be held on Tuesday, July, 5, at 2 p.m. at 845 North Motel Boulevard, to provide an overview of the situation.
- Cowboys set to open preseason against Broncos at Mile High on Saturday
- Locomotive FC rally from three-goal deficit for 4-4 draw with Colorado Springs
- Chihuahuas defeat Space Cowboys 6-4 to snap 3-game losing streak
- Exclusive 9 day forecast: Dryer conditions this weekend
- Chiefs legend, Hall of Famer Len Dawson in hospice care
- UPDATE: Arrests made in shooting that injured a mom and toddler