This article has been updated throughout.
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — The El Paso Police Department has identified the man who died in an early-morning crash on Friday in East El Paso. This is the second traffic fatality of 2021, compared to zero this time last year.
According to EPPD’s Special Traffic Investigations unit, 27-year-old Jorge Jara Quiñonez sustained serious injuries in the single-vehicle collision that happened near the intersection of Montwood and Pacheco drives, near Yarbrough Drive, at 12:25 a.m. on Friday.
Quiñonez died at the scene.
Investigators said Quiñonez was westbound on Montwood Drive, traveling at a high rate of speed. He lost control of the Chevrolet Malibu he was driving and slid sideways across lanes of traffic. The vehicle jumped a curb, struck a stop sign at Montwood and Pacheco Drive and crashed into a residential rock wall at the 2100 block of Pacheco.
Quiñonez suffered serious injuries and died at the scene. No other individuals sustained injuries in the crash.
- North Texas sweeps UTEP softball on senior weekend
- Monday Morning Sprinkles but Sunny Afternoon; 80s Much of the Week; 90s in Your 9-Day Forecast
- Otters at Georgia Aquarium test positive for COVID-19
- El Paso wedding venue to hold high school prom, invites Las Cruces students
- Alma Wahlberg, mother of Mark, Donnie Wahlberg, dies at 78