This article has been updated throughout.
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — The El Paso Police Department has identified the man who died in an early-morning crash on Friday in East El Paso. This is the second traffic fatality of 2021, compared to zero this time last year.
According to EPPD’s Special Traffic Investigations unit, 27-year-old Jorge Jara Quiñonez sustained serious injuries in the single-vehicle collision that happened near the intersection of Montwood and Pacheco drives, near Yarbrough Drive, at 12:25 a.m. on Friday.
Quiñonez died at the scene.
Investigators said Quiñonez was westbound on Montwood Drive, traveling at a high rate of speed. He lost control of the Chevrolet Malibu he was driving and slid sideways across lanes of traffic. The vehicle jumped a curb, struck a stop sign at Montwood and Pacheco Drive and crashed into a residential rock wall at the 2100 block of Pacheco.
Quiñonez suffered serious injuries and died at the scene. No other individuals sustained injuries in the crash.
- Fire breaks out at shopping center on Montana near Geronimo
- Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit reaches space on 2nd try
- New Mexico COVID-19 update: Doña Ana reports 106 new virus cases, 3 new deaths
- Biden team preps for inauguration while lawmakers look ahead to impeachment trial of President Trump
- Knoxville bartenders receive $5,000 tip from generous customer