LCPD Officer Cleared in Shooting Death of Murder Suspect

Las Cruces News
LC Shooting Montoya_1518934332125.jpg_34547107_ver1.0_640_360_1525898795882.jpg.jpg

The Las Cruces Police officer who shot and killed murder suspect Nathaniel Montoya outside a Valero gas station in February has been cleared by the Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office. 

“After an extensive review of this case we have concluded that the shooting by Officer Joseph Campa was justified under New Mexico law. This office will not be taking any action against this officer,” District Attorney Mark D’Antonio wrote in a letter late last week.

Campa, a seven-year veteran of the Las Cruces Police Department was not  wearing a body camera at the time of the shooting, which is protocol with the Department. According to investigators, he had been working earlier in the day as part of the initial crime scene investigation and left his lapel camera to charge in its docking station prior to the shooting. 

The incident began Feb. 16 after police responded to the shooting death of Abraham Gomez, 29, in the 2300 block of Sambrano Avenue. Witnesses identified Montoya as the man Gomez was in an argument with before he was shot. 

Police allege Montoya fled the scene and later stole an abandoned minivan on Bataan Memorial East between Roadrunner Parkway and Rinconada East. 

Around noon the following day, investigators were notified by the owner of the minivan that it had been stolen. The owners told police that they had trouble with it in the rain the day before and left it there. Police believe Montoya may have swapped out the battery in order to get the van running.

Later that day, an LCPD officer spotted Montoya driving the minivan on Galina Drive and began to pull Montoya over, but Montoya refused to stop. 

A police chase ensued with Montoya and LCPD officers speeding through the city at speeds of over 60 miles per hour, eventually heading to the Valero gas station at 1401 E. Lohman Avenue. 

Surveillance camera footage released on Wednesday show Montoya speeding into the Valero station, crashing into several cars. 

Investigators say Officer Campa pinned his unit next to the minivan, exited his unit and gave several commands for Montoya to show his hands. Investigators believe that’s when Montoya raised a .22 caliber rifle and pointed it toward the officer. Campa fired several shots, striking Montoya. He was later pronounced dead on the scene.

The modified .22 shotgun was later located between the two front seats of the minivan.

A pedestrian who was standing between two vehicles when Montoya smashed into the Valero parking lot suffered minor injuries. No other injuries were reported. 

Campa returned to regular duty in late February after the investigation was turned over to the District Attorney’s Office for review.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

KTSM Video Center

Walmart hero struggles to make sense of massacre

Monica’s Monday forecast: Hot and humid

KTSM Remembers: A different point of view

Brother of August 3rd victim Andre Anchondo reflects on one year anniversary, updates on baby Paul

August 3 memorial focuses on healing

Hands of Hope holds drive-thru vigil for August 3 victims

More Local
Advertise with KTSM 9 Link

More crime

More Crime