Tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning this winter from the El Paso Fire Department

El Paso News
Carbon-monoxide-alarms-jpg_20151030203457-159532

As our temperatures change, you may want to turn your heater on.

However, the El Paso Fire Department wants to remind you about the potential risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Fuel consuming space heaters are major sources of the deadly gas.

So to be safe, the El Paso Fire Department wants to remind you of the following:

  • Make sure the area where an unvented gas or kerosene space heater is used is well ventilated; doors leading to another room should be open to allow added ventilation.

  • Never use an unvented combustion heater overnight or in a room where you are sleeping.

  • Never use charcoal grills inside a home, tent, or camper. 

  • Don’t leave vehicles running in an enclosed garage, even to “warm up” a car on a cold morning.

  • Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close to a space heater.
  • Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.

  • Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire.

  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.​

  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional. Have a qualified HVAC technician tune-up your furnace or boiler before turning it on every winter season.

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector.When carbon monoxide accumulation is suspected, or the CO alarm sounds, immediately move outside to fresh air and dial 9-1-1. Do not re-enter the premises until emergency responders clear you to do so.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.