The arena planned to be built in the Downtown area known as Duranguito will be able to host sports, according to a court decision handed down on Wednesday.
The Third Court of Appeals in Austin issued a judgment authorizing the Multipurpose Performing Arts and Entertainment Center to host sporting events. The judgment also states that the city can use outside funding to help source the construction.
“This is a monumental win for the City of El Paso! The ruling means we can deliver a multipurpose facility that El Pasoans overwhelming voted for and approved in 2012 – an MPC that accommodates performing arts and other entertainment, including sports. The City Attorney’s Office and its legal team did a phenomenal job of presenting the City’s case and we are beyond thrilled with this win,” Mayor Dee Margo said in a news release.
The use of the arena had been debated in state courts after a lawsuit was brought up by preservationists, led by Max Grossman. Last year, an Austin judge ruled that the arena could not host sporting events, which prompted the city to challenge.
Earlier on Wednesday, the city started to put new fencing around some of the partially demolished Duranguito buildings, where the Downtown Arena will be built.
The fencing is in place while an archeological study is conducted. The city does not plan do demolish anything before Nov. 19.
Meanwhile, Grossman said the fencing was part of the agreement he and city came up with in October.
“This is a dog fight,” Grossman said during a news conference. “It’s back and forth, it’s wins and losses. We’ve won certain points, the city has won certain points. It’s an ongoing process. Bottom line is the neighborhood is still here.”