EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — Detectives with the El Paso Police Department’s Animal Cruelty Investigations Unit on Friday arrested a 32-year-old man for cruelty to animals.
According to police, Alberto Cruz Bocanegra was charged with cruelty to animals after his 2-year-old Australian Blue Heeler, Kira, died a slow and painful death due to tick infestation.
Bocanegra was previously given a warning after a neglect tip was received. Bocanegra failed to comply and upon follow up, Kira was found deceased in deplorable conditions, no water or shelter and temperatures above 100 degrees.
A necropsy conducted by a veterinarian determined the cause of death to be tick anemia and Ehrlichiosis, a disease caused by tick infestation. Kira was found to have thousands of ticks on her body.
He was booked into the El Paso County Detention Center and is being held on a $5,000 bond.
- Doña Ana County reports 202 new virus cases, 4 new deaths
- Mexican police nab alleged fugitive from the DEA in Juarez
- Aaron and Alvin Jones foundation donates more than 100 turkeys to families in need
- City of El Paso hires legal counsel to help collect Trump campaign’s outstanding debt
- Miners to host UTPB in 2020-21 season opener