VINTON, NM (KTSM) – Several law enforcement agencies from New Mexico and Texas responded to an officer-involved shooting near Vinton late Friday night, according to the Dona Ana County Sheriff’s Office.
Investigators said the incident began as a hit and run and then turned into a pursuit.
Detectives said the victim called authorities after the suspect allegedly crashed into his vehicle and took off. The victim reportedly followed the suspect’s vehicle following the collision.
Dona Ana County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the call and spotted the vehicle along the road.
The driver then allegedly began to open fire at the sheriff’s unit. DASO said that the pursuit continued and ended on Larry Drive. The suspect was struck by gunfire and was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
Authorities later reported that the suspect died from his injuries.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Zelenskyy quip, Trump conspiracy claim top 2022 notable quote list
- Frustration swirls in House GOP over McCarthy Speakership opposition
- Georgia loss fuels GOP divisions over Trump
- UK royals brace as Harry-Meghan documentary promises ‘full truth’
- New footage shows NMSP agent speaking with NMSU men’s basketball player Mike Peake at hospital the day of shooting
- New Mexico State University admits first statement about player involvement was unclear