With Halloween right around the corner, the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office is working to keep the community’s trick-or-treaters safe.
The Sheriff’s Office Sex Offender Registration and Tracking Unit conducted inspections and verifications at 88 homes of registered sex offenders on Tuesday.
Officials say the operation ensures that the houses are not displaying decorations that could attract children.
According to a news release, two of the 88 homes were found to be in violation of parole or probation stipulations prohibiting the display of decorations.
The sheriff’s office recommends residents follow these tips for a safe Halloween:
- Never allow children to go out on their own; stay in groups and always have an adult present.
- Wear bright reflective clothing and carry a flashlight and cell phone with you.
- Avoid any homes that are off the main roadway.
- Discard any unwrapped treats, and report any suspicious activity.
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Remember the safety and protection of children is everyone’s responsibility.
Click HERE to access the Texas Department of Public Safety’s sex offender website.