EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – With springtime right around the corner, the poppies are almost ready to bloom on Castner Range, but the iconic natural space still lacks permanent protection.
That’s why the Castner Range Coalition is ramping up its efforts to celebrate the poppy bloom and is pushing even harder to preserve Castner Range.
From March 5 through April 3, the Castner Range Coalition, working alongside The Frontera Land Alliance, Nuestra Tierra Conservation Project, the El Paso Community Foundation and the Franklin Mountain Wilderness Coalition, will host a series of community events around the poppy bloom.
In addition, they are launching a paid media campaign calling on the Biden administration to take action to make Castner Range a National Monument.
The Castner Range Coalition’s community events include:
- Hiking at the foot of Castner Range
- Community trail-work and clean-up on Knapp Land
- Educational events for the whole family
- ArtStream: Expressive journeys through art
- Many Earth Day activities
Additionally, officials say direct-mail advertisements will target decision-makers across Washington, DC with similar messaging, echoing the urgent call to make Castner Range a National Monument.
Community members can help protect Castner Range by signing a letter of support here.
- 4,000 cameras to be installed along main streets of Juarez
- UTEP drops Golddiggers name for Dance Team, but ‘spirit lives on’
- Majority of Democrats want candidate other than Biden in 2024: poll
- Exclusive 9 day forecast: Fall like weather next week
- What are the Jewish High Holy Days? A look at Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur
- 91 days out at sea, solo kayaker finally makes it to Hawaii