EL PASO, TX (KTSM) – This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the formation of the Binational Breastfeeding Coalition (BBC), in which a group of women from diverse professional backgrounds got together to establish support and promotion of lactation across the US-Mexico Border.
One of the first activities BBC organized was the Big LatchOn, where people gather and together breastfeed and offer peer support along with friends, family and community. This event is conducted all over the world and each year a new record number of participants that breastfeed simultaneously for one full minute is broken in an effort to create a breastfeeding culture.
In 2020 and 2021, due to the pandemic, Big Latch On events were conducted virtually. However, this year, we are delighted to be able conduct in-person events once again to celebrate World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action’s (WABA) World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) while taking social distancing precautions. BBC has partnered with the Secretaria de Salud de Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua and the Empowerment Congress of Doña Ana County, New Mexico to host the following lactation events: The Border Latch (USA) event will take place on Friday, August 5, 2022 at Help NM located at 1000 McNutt, Sunland Park NM 88063. Event will begin at 9:00am and the countdown will be at 10:30am.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- Goal 1 End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 2 End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3 Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 5 Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 6 Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 8 Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Goal 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Goal 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 13 Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Goal 14 Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Goal 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Goal 16 Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Goal 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Optimal breastfeeding is vital to lifelong good health and well-being. Increasing breastfeeding globally
we can prevent 20,000 mother’s deaths, 823,000 children’s deaths and can reduce $302 billion in
economic loss. Breastfeeding is the ‘smartest investment’ families, communities and countries can make.
WABA’s The Warm Chain campaign strives to link different actors across the health, community and
workplace sectors to provide a continuum of care during the first 1000 days.
Gran Tetada Fronteriza (MX) will be held on Saturday, August 6, 2022. Registration begins at 9:30am and the
countdown is at 10:30 a.m. Event will take place at the Parque Central located at Av. Tecnológico s/n, Partido
Iglesias, 32528 Cd. Juárez, Chih.
These events also give the opportunity to share WABA’s 2022 WBW message: Step up for Breastfeeding Educate and Support. BBC and partner agencies are committed to breastfeeding awareness in order for all
babies born along the border area to have an equal opportunity to breast/chestfeed. Join us in this cause and allow BBC and partner agencies an opportunity to talk about lactation at your media outlet.
- Scheduled road closures for I-10 Connect project for Aug. 14-20
- Texas man accused of flying drone over prison to deliver drugs, contraband
- Las Cruces aims to be the top Dawgs in 2022 with young squad
- What is the Espionage Act?
- Hot & (Fairly) Dry Sunday & Monday; Tropical, Heavy Rain Threat Starts Tuesday — Your 9-Day Forecast
- State of Texas: Some Uvalde officers did not get active shooter training