EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – Ahead of this weekend’s celebrations, the City of El Paso Department of Public Health (DPH) reminds the public to take precaution while out celebrating Halloween and Día de los Muertos festivities.
“The El Paso City-County Health Authority will not issue any restrictions this year for Halloween and Día de los Muertos; however, officials strongly recommend individuals continue practicing safety precautions to avoid unnecessary exposure to COVID-19, particularly those unvaccinated and considered at-risk of complications.”El Paso City-County Health
According to officials, the following precautions are recommended:
- Individuals not fully vaccinated are encouraged to get the vaccine if planning to participate in gatherings or other activities during the holidays
- Those considered at-risk due to a low immune system or because of chronic health conditions are encouraged to speak to their healthcare provider to see if they can receive a third COVID-19 vaccine dose or a booster shot
- Smaller gatherings are safer, and it is recommended the individuals be fully vaccinated, and the use a face mask is not necessary unless it’s a personal preference
- Outdoor events are recommended over indoor events
- For large events, face masks are strongly recommended
- Carnivals, festivals, live entertainment, and haunted houses or Día de los Muertos attractions are allowed and are encouraged to continue following minimum health standards
- Door-to-door trick or treating is allowed this year and DPH is recommending those considered to be at high risk of COVID-19 complications or severe disease have a full vaccination and a third dose or booster shot and avoid exposure to large groups or crowds as well as wearing a face mask. Children are recommended to wash their hands before eating their candy.
The complete health guidance for Halloween and Día de los Muertos, along with COVID-19 testing and vaccine information can be found at EPStrong.org.
For information on free flu shots for individuals 2 years and older visit, BePOWERflu.com.