EL PASO (KTSM) — As schools officials in El Paso and Las Cruces announced extended closures of their campuses in order to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, they’re working to ensure students in the Borderland still have access to healthy meals.
El Paso ISD
The district will offer free breakfast and lunch, Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All meals are take-home only. Students do not need to be present to receive take-home meals.
Parents must take their child to any of the distribution sites to be officially counted by EPISD Food and Nutrition staff. Once counted, parents will receive a card noting how many children live in that household, and that card can be presented every day to receive meals.
If parents cannot take their child, they can present one of the five documentation options as proof that a child lives in that household:
- An official school enrollment document (letter or email)
- Student report cards
- School attendance records from a school district parent portal
- Birth certificate for children not enrolled in school
- Student ID cards
The cards issued will be site-specific and will be valid only at the school that issued them. Parents are asked to use the meal distribution service only at one location.
Meals are available to all children ages 1 to 18 regardless of district enrollment:
- Bowie High, 801 S. San Marcial
- Chapin High, 7000 Dyer
- Andress High, 5400 Sun Valley
- Franklin High, 900 N. Resler
- Irvin High, 9465 Roanoke
- El Paso High, 800 E. Schuster
- Henderson Middle, 5505 Robert Alva
- Morehead Middle, 5625 Confetti
- MacArthur Intermediate, 8101 Whitus
- Armendariz Middle, 2231 Arizona
- Ross Middle, 6101 Hughey
- Bassett Middle, 4400 Elm
- Terrace Hills Middle, 4835 Blossom
- Guillen Middle, 900 S. Cotton
- Roberts Elementary, 341 Thorn
- Coldwell Elementary, 4101 Altura
- Lee Elementary, 7710 Pandora
- Stanton Elementary, 5414 Hondo Pass
- Tom Lea Elementary, 4851Marcus Uribe
- Putnam Elementary, 6508 Fiesta
- Hillside Elementary, 4500 Clifton
- Hawkins Elementary, 5816 Stephenson
The District has added the following schools as pick-up sites for take-home breakfast and lunch during the emergency preparedness weeks:
- Barron Elementary, 11155 Whitey Ford
- Bonham Elementary,7024 Cielo Vista
- Brown Middle, 7820 Helen of Troy
- Clardy Elementary, 5508 Delta
- Cooley Elementary, 107 N. Collingsworth
- Guerrero Elementary, 7530 Lakehurst
- Herrera Elementary, 350 Coates
- Mesita ECDC, 220 Lawton
- Moreno Elementary, 2300 San Diego
- Park Elementary, 3601 Edgar Park
- Rivera Elementary, 6445 Escondido
- Ross Middle, 6101 Hughey
- Whitaker Elementary, 4700 Rutherford
- Wiggs Middle, 1300 Circle
- Aoy Elementary, 901 S. Campbell
- Austin High, 3500 Memphis
- Canyon Hills Middle, 8930 Eclipse
- Charles Middle, 4909 Trojan
- Crockett Elementary, 3200 Wheeling
- Fannin Elementary, 5425 Salem
- Green Elementary, 5430 Buckley
- Kohlberg Elementary, 1445 Nardo Goodman
- Logan Elementary, 3200 Ellerthorpe
- Magoffin Middle, 4931 Hercules
- Nixon Elementary, 11141 Loma Roja
- Rusk Elementary, 3601 N. Copia
- Travis Elementary, 5000 N. Stevens
- Zach White Elementary, 4256 Roxbury.
Beginning Monday, March 23, YISD will be offering meals at these selected campuses to any child age 1-18 on a drive-thru basis. Vehicles will be allowed to pull up to the campuses listed below from 7:30 to 11 a.m. and receive BOTH breakfast and lunch for children inside the vehicle.
- Bel Air Middle School
- Del Valle Middle School
- Parkland Middle School
- Bel Air High School
- Del Valle High School
- Ysleta High School
- Riverside High School
- Hanks High School
- Eastwood High School
- Parkland High School
- Constance Hulbert Elementary
- R.E.L. Washington Elementary
- Desertaire Elementary
- Capistrano Elementary
The district will offer free breakfast and lunch for any child ages 1-18 in El Paso beginning March 23. Breakfast is served from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and lunch is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Students can pick up meals curbside at the following locations:
- Canutillo High School
- Bill Childress Elementary
- Garcia Elementary
- Canutillo Elementary
- Davenport Elementary (curbside pick-up from 7 a.m. – 9 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Buses will distribute breakfast and lunch at designated bus stops. For students that wish to pick up meals at the bus stop, please visit www.canutillo-isd.org/COVID19 for a list of bus stops and times.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided to students and children 18 years old and younger beginning on March 23. Breakfast is served from 7:30 – 9 a.m. and lunch is served from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Fabens High School cafeteria
Clint ISD will provide breakfast and lunch service March 23-27 and again on March 30-April 3.
The meals will be made available at all schools in Clint ISD to pick up and take home, officials said. Clint ISD said to assist families who cannot walk/drive to the schools, Clint ISD buses will stop at specific locations to drop off meals.
The weekday service will be available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. for pick up at all elementary, middle, and high schools in the district. Service will be available via a drive-thru or walk-up process.
For a list of free meals from Clint ISD click the link below:
Harmony Public Schools
Lunch will be served to children under the age of 18, regardless of enrollment status. Meals can be picked up each weekday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. During the pickup, children can pick up a sack lunch for the day and a snack breakfast for the following morning.
- Harmony School of Excellence; 9435 Betel Drive
- Harmony School of Innovation; 5210 Fairbanks Dr.
IDEA Public Schools
Breakfast and lunch will be available for curbside pickup Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Families may visit any IDEA campus for meals, even if it is not their own. The service is open to all El Paso children under the age of 18, regardless of enrollment status at IDEA campuses.
- IDEA Mesa Hills; 405 Wallenberg Dr.
- IDEA Edgemere; 15101 Edgemere Blvd.
- IDEA Rio Vista, 210 N. Rio Vista Rd. – Socorro
Las Cruces Public Schools
During the period from March 16 to April 6, LCPS will provide grab-and-go breakfast and lunch to all students at the following locations. Breakfast is served from 8-9 a.m. and lunch is available between noon and 1 p.m.
- Picacho Middle School
- Meerscheidt Recreation Center
- Frank O’Brien Papen Center
- East Mesa Recreation Center
- Doña Ana Community Resource Center
- Desert Hills Elementary
- Doña Ana Elementary
- Hermosa Heights Elementary
- Hillrise Elementary
- Loma Heights Elementary
- Lynn Middle School
- MacArthur Elementary
- Mesa Middle School
- Mesilla Elementary
- Mesilla Park Elementary
- Picacho Middle School
- Tombaugh Elementary
- University Hills Elementary
- Valley View Elementary
Additional sites operated by Families and Youth, Inc. will serve breakfast between 9:30-10:30 a.m. and lunch between 1:30-2:30 p.m.:
- Preciado Park, New Mexico State University
- Branigan Library
- East Mesa Community Center
- East Mesa Splash Pad
- Radium Springs Community Resource Center
- Las Cruces High School
In addition to the school lunch locations, the Roadrunner Food Bank will continue operating its regular services at their distribution centers:
- Mesa Middle School – March 18
- Alameda Elementary School – March 27
- Columbia Elementary – March 30
- Lynn Middle – April 1