Force-feeding has stopped for some detainees at the El Paso ICE processing center, according to attorney Louis Lopez.
As KTSM previously reported, at least 11 people in custody of the East El Paso facility staged a hunger strike to protest verbal abuse, threats of deportation from guards, and lengthy lock-ups while awaiting legal proceedings.
Two of the detainees, Jasvir and Malkeet Singh of India, didn’t eat for about a month before appearing in federal court on Wednesday, where a judge ordered the force-feeding to stop.
The men with nasal feeding tubes reportedly had persistent nose bleeds and were vomiting several times a day, according to a family member.
“They are not well. Their bodies are really weak, they can’t talk and they have been hospitalized, back and forth,” Amrit Singh said last month. “They want to know why they are still in the jail and want to get their rights and wake up the government immigration system.”
The men’s attorney says the order couldn’t have been made possible without the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights.