An El Paso man is in jail in connection with the deadly Las Cruces crash involving a motorcycle overnight.
According to New Mexico State Police, Daniel Medina, 41, was driving south on I-25 when he hit a northbound-traveling vehicle head-on.
Officials say a motorcyclist, Austin Wagner, 21, of White Sands Missile Range, then hit Medina’s vehicle.
Wagner died at the scene.
According to a news release, the driver of the other vehicle, a 26-year-old man, was taken to an area hospital with unknown injuries.
Medina was not injured and was booked into the Dona Ana County Adult Detention Center on the following charges:
- Homicide by Vehicle 66-8-101 (A)
- Driving while under the influence of an intoxicating liquor and or drug 66-8-102 (A)
- Driving on the wrong side of the road 66-7-308
- No Driver’s License 66-5-2
- Open Container (Possession) 66-8-138
- No Insurance 66-5-2-5
- Great Bodily Harm by Vehicle (Driving while under the influence of an intoxicating liquor and or drug 66-8-101 (B)
State police alcohol does appear to have been a factor in the crash.
At least one person is dead following a crash involving a motorcycle in Las Cruces overnight.
According to New Mexico State Police, the wreck happened just before 1:30 a.m. on I-25 near the University exit.
The freeway was completely closed for about six hours as police investigated the crash.
Police have not yet identified the victim.
Stay with KTSM.com for updates.