EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — El Paso’s two law enforcement agencies investigated 32 homicides in 2020 — down from the number of homicides in 2019.
El Paso Police investigated 25 murders and the El Paso Sheriff’s Office investigated seven murders.
EPPD’s investigations started with the Feb. 13 double-homicide of Julie and Richard Duncan, who were allegedly stabbed to death by their son, Benjamin Duncan.
The 25 murders were significantly less than the 40 murders EPPD investigated in 2019, 23 of which were a result of the Aug. 3 Walmart massacre.
El Paso County Sheriff’s Office assists outlying law enforcement agencies in murder investigations, including Clint, Horizon City, Socorro, San Elizario, Socorro, Anthony and Vinton, as well as unincorporated parts of the county. They investigated seven total homicides in 2020, only two of which were in unincorporated parts of the county.
Of El Paso’s 25 homicides, they include domestic incidents, drug deals, party fights and other incidents involving alcohol.
The most prominent homicide in the City of El Paso involves the shooting of Georgette and Daniel Kaufmann, who were ambushed at their Central El Paso home in November. Georgette died of her injuries and her killer remains on the run.
As of Jan. 7, there have been no reported homicide cases in the City or County of El Paso.
- Real or artificial? How to choose the most sustainable Christmas tree, no matter what it’s made of
- 5 takeaways on McCarthy’s exit from Congress
- No. 4 Chapin defeats Bel Air 70-30 for 58th straight win over El Paso teams
- Mickey: McCarthy to be at Sunday’s game despite surgery
- Dental students at Texas Tech to offer free screenings, cleanings