EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — Thursday’s record number of 717 new COVID-19 cases is underscoring the extent to which the City of El Paso is in crisis nine months into the pandemic.
City leaders called a hybrid press conference Thursday morning to update the community on what current data suggests and outlines new restrictions being imposed.
“There is an unprecedented amount of new cases that require immediate action,” said Mayor Dee Margo.
As of Friday, the following restrictions will be imposed:
- Bars to remain closed
- Restaurants to close for dine-in at 9 p.m., but may offer take-out and curbside services
- No home gatherings
- Suspension of waiver requests for outdoor events (weddings, farmer’s markets, etc.)
- Previously approved waivers still allowed
- Park gatherings limited to 10 people or less
- Except for in extreme cases, (i.e., end of life, compassionate care or other emergent situations), people may not visit nursing homes, state supported living centers, assisted living facilities, or long-term care facilities.
- Organizations planning on having parades must limit the number of participants to 10 individuals or less
- Every business establishment shall operate at no more than 50 percent of the total listed occupancy of the establishment (For details see Public Health Authority Orders)
- Suspension of city league sports (see tweet below for clarification)
“We must continue to wear face coverings, maintain social distancing, limit outdoor activities and wash your hand frequently,” said Margo.
If you receive positive results and are not contacted by the city within 24 hours, Margo says to call 212 to report your case and support contact tracers.
- Homeless families, senior citizens, amongst most vulnerable to winter-like conditions in the Borderland
- El Paso strip clubs to remain open after Mayor Margo breaks tie vote
- Exclusive 9 day forecast: Winter weather continues through Wednesday
- Man buys car for stranger after learning of ‘distraught’ mother’s plight
- President Trump’s campaign website hacked in cryptocurrency scam