WAC Basketball Tournament returns to Las Vegas
El Paso, TX — At its recently concluded June meeting, the Western Athletic Conference’s Board of Directors approved several sports-related issues for 2014-15 including the return of the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments to Las Vegas.
The tournaments will be played March 11-14 at the Orleans Arena. It will be the fifth consecutive year that the tournament has been played at that site.
In addition, the Board approved recommendations from the WAC Council including:
• An increase in the cross country championship travel squad from seven to nine.
• Enhanced funding for the WAC Student-Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC).
• A change in the playing days for the volleyball tournament from Monday-Wednesday to Thursday-Saturday. The 2014 tournament will be played November 20-22 in Bakersfield, Calif.
• The implementation of WAC Championship student-athlete recognition receptions.
• Additional medical requirements for conference championships.
• Approval of affiliate memberships in the sports of men’s soccer, swimming & diving and baseball for 2014-15.
The Board also approved the 2014-15 conference budget, reviewed changes and updates to the WAC’s strategic plan and received an update on a new branding initiative that will be implemented with the new academic year.