UTEP To Wrap Roadtrip At UCF Sunday
UTEP will wrap its 2-game trip through the Eastern Time Zone by playing at UCF at 12 p.m. MST Sunday. The contest will be broadcast on 1150 AM in El Paso. The Knights (10-14, 4-6 C-USA) are winners of 3 straight. That equals longest current win streak (Tulsa) in the league.
- The Miners (18-5, 6-4 C-USA) fell at Marshall, 59-47 on Feb. 14.
- Reached 18-win plateau for 5th time in past 7 years.
- Only happened once (18-12, 1992-93) in 1st 32 years of program.
- Posted a winning percentage of .500 or better at the halfway point in league play (5-3, now 6-3) for the 7th straight year.
- Achieved 3 times in 15 campaigns before streak started.
- 10th straight season with least six league victories.
- 4 such years out of 20 before Adams (no league for 7 other years).
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Eight straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- 67th in the RPI (RPIRatings.com).
- 3-0 on year vs. teams from power-league conferences.
- Best overall win% (67.6) of C-USA teams since joining in 2005-06.
- 161-78 overall record, including 18-4 this year, in timeframe.
- Most league wins & best league win% of each team since 2005-06.
- 77-45 (63.6) including 6-4 on year, in C-USA only action
- Tied for most years (4) with 10+ C-USA wins since 2005-06.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
- Kristine Vitola (11/12), Kayla Thornton (12/17) & Anete Steinberga (1/14) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.
QUITE A RUN
- 47-9 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 18-5 this year.
- 31 wins, including 8 this year, by 10+ points.
- 21-5 in C-USA games since 2011-12, including 6-4 this season.
- 63-23 overall since the start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 20 of 23 losses in that timeframe by single digits.
- One this year (at Marshall, 47-59, 2/14)
- Others were: (@UCSB,50-68, 12/11/10 & @ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11).
UTEP & THE STAT RANKINGS
- Top-4 ranking in 8 of 14 major stat categories (chart, pg. 1).
- Pace C-USA in 3 categories (FG% def, RB margin & to’s per game).
- Best overall (2,479) & league-only attendance (3,381).
- Kayla Thornton is 1 of 2 players in C-USA with top-10 ranking for both rebounding (8.3-6th) & scoring (14.4-7th).
- Anete Steinberga is 7th in scoring (14.4) & 11th in field-goal percentage (43.1) & 13th in rebounding (7.0).
- Chrishauna Parker 2nd in rebounding (9.2), 3rd in field-goal percentage (50.3), t4th in assists (4.1), 10th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2) & t25th in scoring (9.4 ppg).
- Kelli Willingham is 6th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5) & three-point % (34.7), 13th in assists (3.0) & 27th in scoring (9.0).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the all-time series against UCF, 6-2,
- Miners trounced UCF, 67-38, at home in lone meeting between teams last year.
- The Knights used a half-court buzzer beater to defeat the Miners, 68-65, last meeting in Orlando (2/10/11).