UTEP Women set for showdown With C-USA leader SMU
POSTED: Saturday, February 2, 2013 - 3:56pm
UPDATED: Saturday, February 2, 2013 - 6:34pm
UTEP and SMU will square off in a meeting between the top two teams in Conference USA at 1:05 p.m. MST at the Don Haskins Center Sunday. Fans who wear an athletic jersey will get in free. All other tickets are $5 for adults & $3 for kids.
- Mustangs (15-4, 6-0) are lone team to be unbeaten in C-USA play.
- The Miners (17-2, 5-1) have won 3 straight & are in 2nd place.
- UTEP is coming off a 50-35 triumph against Tulsa on Jan. 31.
- SMU toppled Houston, at home, 58-54, on Jan. 31.
- UTEP is 11-1 at home, including 2-1 in C-USA contests.
- 17-2 record for third time in program history.
- 2007-08 & 2011-12 also did so.
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- Off to start of at least 5-1 in league play for 5th time at school.
- 2007-08 (16-0), 2011-12 (15-1), 1992-93 (6-1), 1997-98 (5-1) were at least 5-1.
- 17 wins is 5th-highest single-season total in program history.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Six straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 27th in Associated Press (21 points) & 30th in Coaches (16 points).
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 52nd in the RPI (RPIRatings.com).
- Record of 3-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Best overall win% (67.8) of C-USA teams since joining in 2005-06.
- 160-75 overall record, including 17-2 this year, in timeframe.
- Most league wins & best league win% of each team since 2005-06.
- 73-41 (.634) including 5-1 on year, in C-USA play.
- Tied for most years (4) with 10+ C-USA wins since 2005-06.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
- Kristine Vitola (11/12), Kayla Thornton (12/17) & Anete Steinberga (1/14) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.
QUITE A RUN
- 46-6 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 17-2 this year.
- 31 wins, including 8 this year, by 10+ points.
- 6 losses by combined 20 points, with 2 losses this year by 5 total.
- 20-2 in C-USA games since 2011-12, including 5-1 this season.
- 62-20 overall since the start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 18 of 20 losses in that timeframe by single digits.
- Last double-digit loss was at Houston (61-77, 2/20/11).
- Other in sequence was at UCSB (50-68, 12/11/10).
UTEP & THE STAT RANKINGS
- Top-3 ranking in 6 of 14 major stat categories (chart, pg. 1).
- Pace C-USA in 4 categories.
- Kayla Thornton has a top-10 ranking for rebounds (8.3-t6th) &
- Anete Steinberga is 10th in FG percentage (43.8) & scoring (14.0) while rating 16th in rebounding (6.5).
- Chrishauna Parker is 2nd in FG percentage (53.2), 3rd in rebounding (8.8) & 5th in assists (4.1).
- Kelli Willingham is 5th in three-point percentage (37.2) & 12th in assists per game (3.2).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- SMU leads, 23-12, but Miners have won the past 3 meetings.
- UTEP is 4-3 against the Mustangs since the start of 2009-10.
- Mustangs claimed first eight meetings in the series.