UTEP Women To Play Final Road Game At C-USA Leader SMU
UTEP will challenge C-USA leader SMU in its final regular-season road game at 1 p.m. MST Sunday. It will be final game at Moody Coliseum before renovation starts. The game will be broadcast in El Paso on 1150 AM.
- The Mustangs (20-7, 11-3) have lost 2 straight.
- The Miners (19-8, 7-7) also have sustained consecutive setbacks
- Last lost 3 in row in 2010-11 season.
- On precipice of 2nd straight & 4th overall 20-win season.
- 2006-07 (22-8), 2007-08 (28-4) & 2011-12 (29-4) all did so.
- In 4-way tie for 4th in C-USA. Top-4 teams get bye at tourney.
- 18+ wins for the 5th time in the past 7 seasons.
- Happened once (18-12, 1992-93) in 1st 32 years of program.
- Posted a winning percentage of .500 or better at the halfway point in league play (5-3, now 7-5) for the 7th straight year.
- Achieved 3 times in 15 campaigns before streak started.
- 10th straight season with least six league victories.
- 4 such years out of 20 before Adams (no league for 7 years).
DEALING WITH ADVERSITY
- Projected starter Jenzel Nash tore her ACL in exh. game (11/3).
- Starting C Kristine Vitola tore her ACL 3rd game of year (11/18).
- Miners adjusted & rolled to 17-3 record, including 5-2 in C-USA.
- 6th player Saidah Zuberi Allen tore her ACL at Tulane (2/7).
- She led reserves in minutes (14.1), points (3.6) & boards (5.0).
- Zuberi Allen injury left 11 healthy players (10 scholarship).
- 2-5 since that point, with fatigue for several players a factor.