UTEP To Play Host To UAB In Nationally-Televised Contest Sunday
UTEP will take aim at its 10th straight win when it plays UAB at 1:05 p.m. MST Sunday. There have been four win streaks of 10+ games in school history, including two last year (10 & 15). Fox Sports Net will carry the game nation wide.
- The Miners (14-1, 2-0 C-USA) & Blazers (11-4, 2-0 C-USA) are both unbeaten in league action.
- Tickets are $5 for kids & $3 for adults.
- No UTEP team has ever started the year 15-1.
- 2006-07, 2007-08 & 2011-12 squads were all 14-2
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- 2006-07 climbed to 16-2 & finished 22-8.
- 10-0 at home for second time in school history.
- 2007-08 (14-0) lone team to be perfect at home.
- UTEP is off to a 2-0 start in league play for second straight year & fifth time overall at the school.
- The Miners have two separate winning streaks of at least five games this year (9 & 5).
- Only two other teams at school (1992-93, 7 & 5, & 2011-12, 15 & 10) have done so.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Four straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 28th in Coaches’ Poll & tied for 31st in the AP.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 41st in the RPI (RPIRatings.com)
- Record of 2-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
- Kristine Vitola (11/12), Kayla Thornton (12/17) & Anete Steinberga (1/14) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 43-5 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 14-1 this year.
- 29 wins, including 7 this year, by 10+ points.
- 5 losses by combined 16 points.
- 59-19 since start of 2010-11 campaign.
- Only 2 of losses by double digits. (@ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11 & @ UCSB, 50-68, 12/11/10).
- The last double-digit home loss came against Kansas State (65-44, 11/14/08).
UTEP & C-USA
- UTEP is within the top three of nine of the 14 major statistical categories. (see chart, page 1).
- Forged mark of 17-1 in C-USA games since the start of last season, including 2-0 this year.
- UTEP has posted four seasons with at least 10 league victories since joining C-USA in 2005-06.
- Miners are 72-41 overall in C-USA contests.
- UTEP has the best overall winning percentage since the restructure of C-USA in 2005-06.
- The Miners are 157-74 (.680) in that timeframe.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the series 5-4, including 5-3 since being a part of C-USA.
- The Miners beat the Blazers twice last year.
- UTEP secured its first road win (47-45, 3/1/12) & it toppled UAB in the C-USA semis (60-49, 3/9/12).
- UAB won first meeting (at home) in 1991-92.