Miners Play Tough, but Fall at Wisconsin, 37-26
POSTED: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 4:15pm
UPDATED: Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 9:38pm
The UTEP Miners played well and tough, and even cut Wisconsin's lead to four, but the Badgers were just too tough, winning 37-26. Here are some notes from the game:
Wisconsin 37, UTEP 26
Sept. 22, 2012
UTEP Post-game Notes
- Michael Edwards scored a touchdown for the second straight week in the first quarter off a 39-yard pass from Nick Lamaison. It marks the first time that Edwards has reached the end zone in consecutive games since joining the Miners for the 2011 season.
- Steven Valadez made two field goals from 40+ yards today (45 yards in the second quarter, 43 in the fourth quarter). Valadez is 3-for-4 from 40+ yards in a Miner uniform including a 46-yarder versus East Carolina last season.
- Valadez is the first UTEP kicker to make a pair of field goals from 40+ yards in a game since Dakota Warren at Tulane on Oct. 15, 2011.
- The last Miner to make two field goals from 43 yards or more in a game was Warren versus Memphis on Sept. 25, 2010 (57 and 50 yards).
- Horace Miller recorded the second multiple sack game of his career. He also had two sacks versus Colorado State on Oct. 22 of last year.
- The Miners had three sacks in the first half after totaling three versus Oklahoma, one at Ole Miss and three versus NM State. The last time UTEP had three or more sacks in a half was last season against Colorado State (five in the second half).
- The three total sacks represents the second-highest total for the Miners in a road game since Andre Patterson took over as defensive coordinator for the 2010 season. UTEP registered six sacks at NM State on Sept. 17, 2011.
- The touchdown run by Xay Williams in the third quarter was the first of his career. He is the first UTEP freshman to post a rushing score since Nathan Jeffery did so against Houston on Sept. 29, 2011.
- Williams rushed for a season-high 53 yards. It marked the fifth-most rushing yards by a freshman in the Mike Price era (2004-present).
- For the second time this season, UTEP had a player with multiple takeaways in a game as Drew Thomas posted an interception and a fumble recovery. Richard Spencer had two fumble recoveries at Ole Miss on Sept. 8.
- Richard Spencer has tallied an interception, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in four games this season.
- Drew Thomas was credited with eight tackles tonight, eclipsing his previous career high of six stops four times.
- The 62-yard touchdown pass from Nick Lamaison to Michael Edwards in the fourth quarter marked the third time that the combination has hooked up for a score of 50 yards or more. The other such occurrences came last year at Rice (74 yards & 50 yards).
- Edwards recorded his second career 100-yard receiving game (187 yards at Rice last season).
- Lamaison has thrown 127 passes this season with no interceptions.
- UTEP drops to 0-17 all-time in road games versus BCS conference teams.
- UTEP is 0-2 all-time versus Big Ten Conference teams.
- The crowd of 79,806 was the fifth-largest to witness a game involving UTEP.
- UTEP opens C-USA play next week at East Carolina (Sept. 29, 5 p.m. MT). The game will be televised in El Paso on The CW Network.