Miners Open Roadswing At Rice
POSTED: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:43pm
UPDATED: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 5:51pm
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will kick off a two-game roadswing with a match-up at Rice at 6 p.m. MST Thursday.
- The Miners (14-2, 2-1) are 2-1 on the road.
- 1-0 this year & 10 straight C-USA road wins.
- Last lost consecutive league games in 2010-11.
- The Owls (9-8, 1-3) are 8-2 at home, 1-1 C-USA.
- Top 2 rebounding teams in C-USA.
- Game will air on KHRO 1150 AM in El Paso
- 14-2 record for fourth time in program history.
- 2006-07, 2007-08 & 2011-12 also did so.
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- 2006-07 climbed to 16-2 & finished 22-8.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Five straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 29th in AP & tied for 35th in Coaches’ Poll.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 58th in the RPI (RPIRatings.com)
- Record of 3-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
- Kristine Vitola (11/12), Kayla Thornton (12/17) & Anete Steinberga (1/14) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 43-6 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 14-2 this year.
- 29 wins, including 7 this year, by 10+ points.
- 6 losses by combined 20 points.
- 59-20 since start of 2010-11 campaign.
- Only 2 of losses by double digits. (@ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11 & @ UCSB, 50-68, 12/11/10).
- The last double-digit home loss came against Kansas State (65-44, 11/14/08).
UTEP & C-USA
- UTEP is within the top three of eight of the 14 major statistical categories. (see chart, page 1).
- 17-2 in C-USA games since the start of last season, including 2-1 this year.
- UTEP has posted four seasons with at least 10 league victories since joining C-USA in 2005-06.
- Miners are 72-43 overall in C-USA contests.
- UTEP has the best overall winning percentage since the restructure of C-USA in 2005-06.
- The Miners are 157-75 (.677) in that timeframe.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Rice leads the overall series, 24-12.
- Owls own 14-4 advantage at home.
- UTEP is 10-5 vs. Owls since start of 2006-07.
- Miners are 3-2 at Rice since 2007-08
- Road team won each of the meetings last year.
- Each game was decided by four points.