Miners Look to Bounce Back at Tulsa
POSTED: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 5:08pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 5:34pm
6pm Thursday night, Tulsa will host UTEP in a game televised on Fox Sports Net (Cable Channel 27). The Miners have lost three in a row while Tulsa has won five in a row. Here are some more game notes:
THE BASIC FACTS
- UTEP takes on Tulsa on Thursday at H.A. Chapman Stadium.
- The Miners are appearing on national television for the fourth time in their first seven games. Thursday’s contest will be carried on FOX Sports Network.
- UTEP is playing its second C-USA Thursday game. The first was a 49-42 loss to Houston on Sept. 29, 2011 in the Sun Bowl.
- The Miners are 2-4 in non-Saturday C-USA road games with three straight losses. All six games were played on Fridays (won 45-21 at Tulane on 10/14/05; lost 30-20 at Tulsa on 10/27/06; won 36-17 at UAB on 11/10/06; lost 53-21 at East Carolina on 11/28/08; lost 54-24 at Houston on 9/10/10; lost 31-14 at UCF on 11/25/11).
- UTEP is 19-13 in October under coach Mike Price, including 8-7 on the road.
- Fifty-three percent (8-of-15) of the Miners’ road wins under Price have come in the month of October.
- UTEP has won its first road game in the month of October in five of the last nine years and three of the last four. The Miners did not play a road game in October in 2007.
- UTEP is 6-23 in C-USA road games.
HOW THEY GOT HERE
- UTEP was dealt its third straight loss by SMU, 17-0 on Saturday in the Sun Bowl.
- The Miners suffered their first shutout defeat since 2003 (34-0 versus San Diego State) and first shutout in a home conference game since 1996 (30-0 versus SMU).
- UTEP dropped to 1-5 for the first time since the 2002 season.
- It was UTEP’s second straight loss in a C-USA home opener following six consecutive wins.
- Garrett Gilbert completed 22-of-44 passes for 234 yards to lead the Mustangs.
- SMU had two receivers with 75+ yards (Darius Johnson 82, Jeremy Johnson 76), and Zach Line rushed 25 times for 84 yards.
- Ja’Gared Davis added a 30-yard interception return for a touchdown for the Mustangs.
- Two quarterbacks saw extensive action for the Miners with Nick Lamaison completing 9-of-23 passes for 131 yards with two interceptions, and Carson Meger completing 7-of-16 passes for 47 yards with one pick.
- Nathan Jeffery accounted for 67 of UTEP’s 107 rushing yards.
- Tulsa moved to 5-1 overall and 3-0 in league play with a 45-38 win at Marshall on Saturday.
- It was the Golden Hurricane’s seventh consecutive C-USA road victory.
- Cody Green’s four-yard TD pass to Jordan James capped a six-play, 66-yard drive, giving Tulsa the lead for good with 8:25 to play.
- Tulsa prevailed despite trailing the total offense category, 572 yards to 340.
- The Golden Hurricane forced three turnovers, leading to nine points.
- Tulsa also received a 95-yard kickoff return for a score by Trey Watts.
- The Golden Hurricane had two players with 100+ yards on kickoff returns in Watts (144) and Demarco Nelson (111).
- Watts also rushed 18 times for 111 yards.
UTEP VS. TULSA
- Tulsa leads the series 12-8.
- The Miners are 3-4 versus the Golden Hurricane since joining Conference USA, including 0-3 on the road.
- The combined score of the three games in Tulsa as C-USA members has been 138-83 in favor of the Golden Hurricane.
- The Golden Hurricane has won six of 10 matchups between the schools at Tulsa.
- UTEP’s last win at Tulsa came on Oct. 7, 2000 (40-7). Since then the Miners have dropped five in a row on the Golden Hurricane’s home field.
- UTEP has been outscored by a total of 195-118 in its last five trips to Tulsa.
- From 1988-2000, UTEP posted a 4-1 mark at Tulsa but has gone 0-5 since.
- The home team had won seven straight games in the series prior to Tulsa prevailing at UTEP last season, 57-28.
THE LAST MEETING
- G.J. Kinne threw for 300 yards and three touchdowns, powering Tulsa to a 57-28 win at UTEP on Nov. 19, 2011.
- After UTEP whittled a 21-6 deficit down to 21-15 late in the second quarter, the Golden Hurricane exploded for 29 unanswered points to go ahead 50-15 late in the third period.
- The run of four straight touchdowns included a 94-yard kickoff return by Trey Watts and a 34-yard interception return by Shawn Jackson.
- Tulsa had 300 yards passing and 200 rushing. UTEP finished with 429 yards of offense (266 passing, 163 rushing) and two turnovers, leading to 14 points by the opposition.
- Carson Meger started at quarterback for the Miners for the injured Nick Lamaison and completed 20-of-34 passes for 204 yards and a pair of picks. Jay Hall (3-for-7, 27 yards) and Tate Smith (3-for-5, 35 yards) also saw action.
- Jordan Leslie posted seven catches for a season-high 119 yards for UTEP, and Joe Banyard rushed for 91 yards and a score.
- The Golden Hurricane defense tallied eight tackles for losses and four sacks. UTEP had no sacks.
- Tulsa has a total of 26 Texas players on its 2012 roster. UTEP has one Oklahoma native in OL Trint Jenkins, who attended Victory Christian High School in Tulsa. Jenkins is redshirting this season.
- Players in the depth charts from the same hometowns include UTEP sophomore K Steven Valadez, Tulsa senior LB DeAundre Brown and Tulsa junior RB Ja’Terian Douglas, who all hail from Arlington.