Miners Face Vanderbilt Sunday in Orlando
UTEP (1-3) concludes play at the Old Spice Classic on Sunday by taking on Vanderbilt (1-3) at noon MT/2 p.m. ET. The game is available for viewing on espn3.com.
- Both teams are 0-2 in the Orlando tournament. The Miners lost to Oklahoma (68-61) and Clemson (69-48), and the Commodores fell to Davidson (75-62) and Marist (50-33).
- The game matches two teams that have had difficulty scoring this season. UTEP is averaging 57.2 points per game, and Vanderbilt is averaging 55.8 ppg.
- UTEP and Vanderbilt are meeting for the first time on the hardwood.
- UTEP’s Tim Floyd is 0-2 in his coaching career against Vanderbilt. Both were NIT games. On March 21, 1990, Floyd’s New Orleans Privateers dropped an 88-65 decision to the Commodores in a third round game at Nashville. On March 21, 1994, Vandy upended UNO 78-59 in a second round game at Nashville.
- The Miners are facing an SEC team for the first time since knocking off Auburn, 83-76, in the third-place game of the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic on Christmas Day of last season. That was UTEP’s first victory over an SEC team since 1989.
- UTEP is 4-4 in neutral site games under coach Tim Floyd.
- The Miners enter the game with a three-game losing streak and need a victory to avoid tying their longest losing string under Floyd. UTEP dropped four straight games from Jan. 21-Feb. 4 of last season.
- The Miners are 6-0 in Sunday games under Floyd, the only day of the week that they haven’t lost a game under his watch.
- The Commodores are in a rebuilding mode after losing all five starters from last year’s 25-11 squad that won the SEC Tournament and advanced to the third round of the NCAAs.
- Vanderbilt returns seven players from that team, none who averaged more than 3.1 points per game.
- Sophomore guards Kedren Johnson (17.8 ppg) and Kyle Fuller (12.5 ppg) are the team’s top scorers.
- Freshman guard Kevin Bright is averaging 5.8 points and a team-leading 7.0 rebounds per game. Bright is one of two freshmen seeing significant action, along with forward Sheldon Jeter (3.0 ppg/3.5 rpg).
- The Commodores are shooting 37.6 percent from the field, 28.2 percent from three-point territory and 63.5 percent from the line as a team.
- Sophomore guard Eric McClellan, who averaged 13.0 ppg in two games versus the Miners last season while playing for Tulsa, is sitting out this year per NCAA transfer rules.
- Vanderbilt Coach Kevin Stallings was an assistant at Kansas from 1989-93. On March 22, 1992, UTEP engineered one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history, beating the top-seeded Jayhawks 66-60 in Dayton.
CLEMSON 69, UTEP 48 [RECAP]
- Clemson made its first six three point shots in bolting to a 20-4 lead on the way to a 69-48 victory over UTEP on Friday.
- The Tigers shot 10-for-12 from beyond the arc in the first half and 12-for-16 on the night.
- UTEP fell behind 12-1 early and faced a 20-point deficit (38-18) with a little over three minutes remaining in the first half. The Miners scored the last eight points of the period to pull within 12 (38-26) at the break, but could get no closer.
- John Bohannon led UTEP with 15 points, hitting 7-of-11 shots. The rest of the Miners were a combined 10-for-35 from the field.
- Julian Washburn also scored in double figures for UTEP (11 points). Bohannon was the team’s leading rebounder with six boards.
- Milton Jennings led Clemson with 18 points. K.J. McDaniels added 17. Both hit four three-pointers. They were a combined 8-for-9 from long range.