Free Admission For Miners' Non-Conference Finale Vs. UTPA Sunday
UTEP will try to close out the 2012 calendar year in style when it challenges UTPA at 2:05 p.m. at the Don Haskins Center Sunday.
- In the spirit of the holidays, there will be free admission to the game.
- The Miners (11-1) extended their winning streak to six by thrashing Sam Houston State, 85-66 on Dec. 28.
- After winning three of four, the Broncos (5-8) have dropped consecutive contests.
- Following the match up against UTPA, the Miners will have a nine-day layoff to prepare for the start of league play. UTEP initiates Conference USA action on the road at Tulsa at 6 p.m. MST Jan. 9.
- With a win against the Broncos, the Miners would set the school standard for most victories before the start of conference play in program history. Both the 2006-07 & 2011-12 teams compiled 11.
- This year’s team is seeking to join the 06-07 squad as the second in school history to enter league play with just one less.
STARTING IT OFF RIGHT
- For the second time in program history, UTEP is off to an 11-1 start.
- The 2006-07 squad surged to a 14-1 record before finishing at 22-8 to record the first 20+ win season at the school.
- The 2011-12 squad set the school record for longest winning streak (10) to start the season.
- The Miners boasted a winning record through 10 games for the fourth straight year and the sixth occasion under Keitha Adams.
- Five teams did so before Adams, but the longest streak was consecutive campaigns (once).
- UTEP opened up at 5-0 for a second straight year & third time overall in program history.
- The Miners had never been better than 3-0 in back-to-back years.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Picked up votes in both of the top-25 polls.
- Received six votes & tied for 33rd in the coaches’ poll & it picked up two votes to tie for 38th in the AP poll.
- Garnered placement of 6th in the ESPN.com Midmajor Poll.
- Boast a RPI of 14th according to RPI & a strength of schedule of 69th.
- Record of 3-1 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Had three players recognized by Conference USA through weekly awards.
- Both Kristine Vitola (11/12) & Kayla Thornton (12/17) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.