Aggies Win First WAC Match 5-2 Over Seattle U
After a rough start on the road, the New Mexico State women’s tennis team claimed its first conference win with a 5-2 decision over Seattle University. The Aggie win boosts their overall record to 5-10 and 1-4 in Western Athletic Conference play.
Senior Ginet Pinero helped the Aggies with a two-set victory at the No. 2 court. The senior now sits on a 2-2 conference record.
Denise Van Der Ben and Annemieke Witte also picked up straight-set wins at the third and fourth positions. Van Der Ben worked for a 6-3 win over Gabriella Weissmann in the first set and came back for a 6-2 win for the point.
Witte worked her way to two 6-1 sets for the point at the fourth spot, giving the junior her first WAC victory of the season and her eighth win of the season.
Ros-Polly Nguyen earned her third straight win for a 4-1 start to conference play with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at the fifth court.
“It was a good conference win for us today,” head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We are fighting hard and it was good to get a win today before heading into next weekend.”
NM State took two of the three doubles courts for the point with Pinero and Nguyen teaming up for an 8-1 win at the top doubles spot. With a hard-fought battle at court two, Van Der Ben and Witte dropped 6-8.
Senior Jodie Williams and freshman Mia Brandt worked the third court for an 8-4 win, giving NM State the point.
The Aggies continue on the road with a trip to meet Rio Grande rival New Mexico on Saturday, March 30, at 12 p.m.
New Mexico State 5, Seattle University 2
1. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) def. Weissmann/Lambert (SU) 8-1
2. Lucas/Newman (SU) def. Van Der Ben/Witte (NMSU) 8-6
3. Williams/Brandt (NMSU) def. Wurden/James (SU) 8-4
1. Lindsey Newman (SU) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-0, ret.
2. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Anna Lambert (SU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Annemieke Whitt (NMSU) def. Sarah Lucas (SU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Corinne Wurden (SU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Kristen James (SU) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3