0AT10/02 - 6:30pm
0AT10/02 - 6:30pm
23AT09/27 - Final
Aggies welcome UTSA to NM State Softball Complex
New Mexico State softball gets back in Western Athletic Conference play with a three-game series against UTSA on Friday, April 12-13. The series opener on Friday is set for 6 p.m. with the Saturday double bill starting at 4 p.m., at the NM State Softball Complex.
• Friday’s series opening game versus the Roadrunners is set for 6 p.m. and is available on live stats. Saturday’s doubleheader is available to listen live on KSNM AM570 with Jay Sanderson making the call.
• Each game is also available to follow along live on live stats at NMStateSports.com or on Twitter @NMStateAggies.
• Get all the updates of Aggie Athletics on Twitter and Facebook. Get in-game statistics and in-game updates on Twitter @NMStateAggies and @NMSUSoftball. Find out about all Aggie Athletics promotions and events on Facebook (NMSU Athletics and The Aggie Student-Athlete).
About the Aggies
• The Aggies (27-14, 8-1 WAC) head into the conference series fresh off a split doubleheader with No. 17 Arizona. NM State used the 3-2 win over the Wildcats to set a new record for longest winning streak with 11 games. NM State fell in game two against the nationally-ranked team, marking its first loss since the conference opener on March 22.
• NM State is leading the Western Athletic Conference with just one loss in conference play. After sweeping the most recent two league series, the Aggies moved ahead of San Jose State by one game over the last weekend. NM State.
• UTSA is 20-16 overall this season while holding a 5-4 record in WAC play. UTSA is also 8-6 on the road this season. The Roadrunners are led offensively by catcher Megan Low who has a batting average of .351 for the season with 23 RBI, eight doubles and five home runs. Since entering WAC play, the Roadrunners’ offense has been paced by outfielder Darian Blake who is hitting .438 in conference play and leads the team with 14 hits, five runs scored and three doubles.
• UTSA’s pitching staff is led by Haylee Staton who brings an overall ERA of 2.36 into the series with NM State. Staton has pitched 118.2 innings, struck out 79 batters and completed 10 games this season. Since entering WAC play, Staton has dropped her ERA to 1.53 in 32.0 innings pitched and has recorded 14 strikeouts. Behind Staton is Alyssa Vordenbaum who has a 2.42 ERA for the season with 49 strikeouts in 89.2 innings pitched. Vordenbaum also drops her ERA to 1.63 in WAC play in 30.0 innings pitched and is holding batters to a .214 batting average against her since entering conference play.
• The Aggies are currently 7-8 all-time against UTSA entering this season. The first meeting between the two teams was back in 1998 in a contest that the Aggies lost 6-7 in the University of Arizona Tournament. Their most recent meeting was in 2010 in the Hotel Encanto Invitational where the Aggies defeated UTSA 28-7.