POSTED: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 - 9:49am
UPDATED: Friday, April 4, 2014 - 8:47am
El Paso, TX (KTSM) — Canutillo High School student Kashmir Flores joined us in our NewsChannel 9 studios Tuesday for a sneak peak at her award-winning cupcake concoctions. Flores is a Senior in the Culinary Arts program at CHS. She was recently crowned champion in the 2014 El Paso area high school cupcake battle.
Yields about 16 cupcakes
• ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 oz. chocolate chips (melted)
• 2 eggs, room temperature
• 2 egg yolks, room temperature
• ½ cup + 1 tbsp. vegetable/canola oil
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• ½ cup cocoa powder, unsweet
• ½ cup water, room temperature
• Crushed graham crackers (to your liking)
• 2 mini marshmallows per cupcake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Ina medium size bowl with stand mixer, combine butter, sugar, chocolate, eggs, water, and egg yolks until just combined.
3. Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream until just combined.
4. In another medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients mixing gradually.
6. Add crushed graham crackers to your liking in each cup.
7. Fill cupcake liners a little less than 2/3 full and put in oven
8. Bake for 18 minutes or until done.
9. Remove cupcakes from oven and let them cool
10. When they are warm to touch, insert a hole in middle and add 2 marshmallows then cover hole back up with the piece you take out.