POSTED: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 2:40am
UPDATED: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 8:10am
A family was displaced after an explosion at their east El Paso home Wednesday night.
El Paso fire officials said the family at the home on the 1600 block of Vista Real had their fire place on a majority of the day. They said there was a gas leak in that area and as the gas accumulated it caused an explosion in the attic minutes after 10 p.m.
The family was able to get out safely, but their home suffered $40,000 worth of damage.