El Paso, TX — White-hot UTEP will play host to Northern Colorado at 7:05 p.m. at the Don Haskins Center Wednesday. Buy an adult ticket ($5) & get a kid ticket for free. The Miners (4-0) will face the Bears (2-2) & then wrap up the month at home against Texas State at 7:05 p.m. MST Saturday.
- Audio & video of all home games will be available through subscription-based Miner TV on UTEPAthletics.com
- The Miners received a vote in both top-25 polls.
- Tied for 36th in the AP & 37th in Coaches.
- Off to 4-0 start for a third straight year, boosted by a +34.0 scoring margin (86.2-52.2)
- Marks 7th overall start of at least 4-0 at school.
- Previously achieved feat in 1974-75 (4-0), 1996-97 (7-0), 1998-99 (4-0), 2006-07 (4-0), 2011-12 (10-0) & 2012-13 (5-0).
- Back-to-back wins by 45+ points for first time in school history.
- School-record 49-point differential vs. DI 1 foe in 92-43 win vs. Northern Arizona (11/22/13)
- Beat Kansas State by 45 points (84-39) on Nov. 16, its third-best margin of win vs. D1 opposition.
- Set school record for biggest halftime lead vs. D1 opponent against KSU (46-13).
- Five players at +8.0 ppg while five others pitching in at least 5.8 ppg.
- Two-time C-USA honoree & senior Kayla Thornton leading way at 14.5 ppg.
- Out-scored opponents, 173-89, in the first half of games this year.
- UTEP is now 55-14 since the start of the 2011-12 season.
- UTEP is in the midst of a season-opening six-game homestand, the second longest in program history.
- Only the 2008-09 campaign (seven contests) featured a longer stretch in the Sun City to start the year.
- UTEP is 15-1 in November since starting the 2011-12 season, including 4-0 this year.
- It is 42-22 all time in month under head coach Keitha Adams.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP and Northern Colorado’s history dates back to the second year of the Miners’ program.
- The two teams met annually in four successive years (1975-76 through 1978-79), and then did not play again until back-to-back seasons (2004-05 & 2005-06).
- The seventh and most-recent meeting between the programs came during UTEP’s record-setting 2011-12 campaign. Overall the Miners lead the series, 4-3, including a mark of 3-1 under head coach Keitha Adams.
GOING BACK IN TIME
- UTEP jumped out to a 25-point (45-20) halftime lead and didn’t let up on the way to recording its largest margin of victory (49) ever against a Division 1 team in a 92-43 thrashing of Northern Arizona at home on Nov. 26.
- UTEP harassed the Lumberjacks into making 29 turnovers while also holding them to 32.0 percent shooting from the floor. The 29 giveaways led to 31 points for the Orange and Blue.
- UTEP registered 20 assists & hit 50% from field.
- Transfer Anete Kirsteine came off the bench to tally a career high 15 points- all on triples- to lead a quartet of Miners in double figures for scoring.
- Senior Kayla Thornton and sophomore Irene Gari each netted 12 points while senior Kristine Vitola pitched in 10.
- Overall 11 different players scored in the game, showing off the Orange and Blue’s depth in the process.
- UTEP drained the seventh-most three pointers (11) in a contest in program annals.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
- UNC is 517-546 all time since launching the program for the 1974-75 campaign.
- It was 21-13 last year, including 15-5 in the Big Sky Conference.
- The Bears advanced to the second round of the WNIT.
- Three starters & 10 letterwinners returned from that team.
- UNC was picked third in the 2013-14 Big Sky Preseason Poll.
- Northern Colorado is 2-2 on the year & has been idle since a 58-49 conquest of Adams State on Nov. 20.
- Stephanie Lee, the reigning Big Sky Player of the Week, leads the team in scoring at 16.5 ppg.
- Notable alumni include Steve Antonopulos, the head athletic trainer of the Denver Broncos, Sully Sullenberger, captain of U.S. Airways Flight 1549 that successfully landed in the Hudson River in 2009 and Ed Werder, reporter for ESPN.