POSTED: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 - 11:19pm
UPDATED: Friday, September 6, 2013 - 9:19am
El Paso, TX (KTSM) — City and Triple A baseball team officials speak out after creating a back up plan, in case the downtown baseball stadium is not ready. As we reported yesterday the Pima County board of supervisors approved an extension for up to one year for the Padres to play in Tucson.
The MountainStar sports group is paying a Tucson Stadium District $70,000 to extend the contract. $35,000 of that is to lease the Tucson stadium should El Paso's not be ready.
We spoke with Alan Ledford, the President of the MountainStar Sports Group who says everything is on track, and it's just a precaution.
"The prudent thing to do was to go ahead and take advantage of that opportunity as a just in case provision. Everything is on schedule with the ballpark and we expect it to be, but it's a tight schedule as everybody knows.It's prudent to have a contingency plan in place," said Ledford.
We also reached out to the City's Development and Tourism department about the progress on the ball park. The Deputy City manager had this to say:
"The downtown ballpark remains on schedule to be completed by April 2014. There are many variables which could impact the construction between now and then. The city of El Paso will complete the city-owned facility as expeditiously, safely, and efficiently as possible," said said William F. Studer, Deputy City Manager for Development and Tourism. "Furthermore, we will continue to work with MountainStar sports group to ensure this community's new triple-a team has a world-class ballpark to call home."
We also asked about the possible use of Cohen Stadium if the new location isn't ready. Ledford responded saying that is not an option.
As for season ticket holders, Ledford answered by again saying it is prudent to have a contingency plan in place.