POSTED: Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 12:00am
UPDATED: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 1:32pm
(StatePoint) In addition to filling practical needs, home improvement projects often can increase the value of a home with minimal investment. Some projects add more value than others, however.
So if you’re looking to sell soon, or just add value without breaking the bank, opt for projects with great returns on investment.
But knowing which ones will yield a nice return can be tricky. To help, the home improvement experts at Linear, a manufacturer of wireless residential systems and products, are advising homeowners on affordable modernization projects that add instant value to a home:
• Security Systems: When considering the cost versus return on investment, security systems offer instant value, since they increase a home’s market value, reduce homeowners insurance and install quickly and easily. Security system technology has really adapted to the modern lifestyle, so homeowners can now monitor and manage systems 24/7 from smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices.
• Garage Door Operator: An updated garage door operator offers built-in safety features, ultra-quiet operation and other improvements that add significant value over an erratic and noisy older model. Often ignored, battery backup units on garage doors grant access during black-out conditions, something to appreciate during adverse weather conditions.
• Central Vacuum System: Homeowners with a central vacuum  system enjoy more convenient cleaning and better air quality, but because it’s considered by many to be a luxury item, homes with a centralized vacuum system can see an increase in value by as much as two or three times the cost of the system. And installing a system can be practical, even on a budget, as systems come at a range of price points. For example, Linear offers both disposable bag and bagless central vacuums that vary in their cleaning capacity based on the size of a home.
• Whole-house/multi-room audio: Although a bit more expensive than other improvements, a distributed audio system is great for turning your home into an entertainment venue for hosting parties or supreme personal use.
• Video Intercoms: Especially useful for larger houses or work-from-home offices that get frequent deliveries, a video intercom is great for security and convenience to let homeowners know who’s at the door before revealing whether anyone is home. New models like Linear’s VMC-1 also send email or text alerts with pictures when a homeowner is away, giving snapshot views of who has come and gone. They also make a great first impression for people considering a home purchase and are affordable to install and operate.
More home improvement ideas, and a network of skilled installers who can finish your project quickly and affordably, can be found at http://www.LinearCorp.com/locator .
There are many different ways to affordably make your home stand out from a crowd and boost its value.