POSTED: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 6:41pm
UPDATED: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 7:49pm
El Paso, TX (KTSM) — UPDATE:
El Paso fire investigators determined the cause of Saturday's apartment fire at the Camino Real Apartments in East El Paso was accidental.
According to Chief Calvin Shanks with the El Paso Fire Department, the fire was caused by an unattended candle left unattended in the master bedroom of one of the apartment units.
Four other units were evacuated Saturday as a precaution, but the fire did not spread to any other units. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $50,000.
The fire department wants to remind the public of the dangers of unattended candles. If you use candles, ensure that they are on a solid base where they are unlikely to tip over and keep them a safe distance away from any combustibles, including curtains and other readily ignitable materials. Never leave them unattended. When you leave the room, extinguish the candle. As always, please make sure that you have working smoke alarms in your home and practice your escape plan in case of an emergency.
If you have any questions regarding fire safety, or need assistance with home safety surveys, smoke alarm installations, or escape plans, please contact the fire prevention division at 915-485-5699, or visit your neighborhood fire station to ask for assistance.
El Paso firefighters responded to a fire at the Camino Real Apartments in East El Paso Saturday afternoon.
Fire crews were called out at 4:34 p.m. and controlled the fire within minutes.
According to emergency dispatchers, the fire started in one of the apartment units. No one was inside at the time. It is unclear if anyone was displaced by the fire.
No injuries were reported. A fire investigator arrived on the scene to determine the cause of the fire.