POSTED: Saturday, February 2, 2013 - 4:25pm
UPDATED: Saturday, February 2, 2013 - 6:33pm
UTEP (11-8, 4-2 C-USA) begins a stretch of three consecutive Conference USA home games on Saturday against Tulane (14-7, 2-4 C-USA). The Miners will also host Rice on Wednesday, Feb. 6 and Tulane on Saturday, Feb. 9. UTEP will play four of its next five C-USA games at the Haskins Center from Feb. 2-16.
- The Miners have played three consecutive Conference USA home games only once previously since joining the league in 2005. That happened in February of last year, when UTEP went 2-1 in the stretch with a loss to UAB (61-60) and wins over Tulsa (64-55) and Tulane (54-52 in overtime).
- UTEP is 29-20 all-time in February Conference USA games, including 8-7 under coach Tim Floyd. The Miners were 7-0 in C-USA play in February in 2010.
- UTEP enters Saturday’s game in fourth place in the league standings. Tulane is tied for seventh place.
- The Miners are 9-1 at home this season. UTEP, Memphis (12-1) and Southern Miss (8-0) are the only teams in C-USA with one home loss or fewer.
- The Miners are 47-10 in C-USA home games since joining the league for the 2005-06 season (7-0 in 2006, 5-3 in 2007, 7-1 in 2008, 5-3 in 2009, 8-0 in 2010, 7-1 in 2011, 6-2 in 2012, 2-0 in 2013). The Miners have won 25 of their last 28 C-USA home games dating back to the 2008-09 campaign.
- UTEP is 17-4 in C-USA home games under Tim Floyd (15-3 regular season, 2-1 C-USA Tournament).
- UTEP is 72-44 all-time in Conference USA play. Only Memphis (103) and UAB (75) have posted more C-USA victories since the league’s realignment for the 2005-06 season.
- UTEP has registered at least 10 Conference USA wins in three of the last four seasons.
- UTEP has won 10 of its last 14 games after starting the season 1-4.
- UTEP continues to honor past greats at halftime of its home games, a policy instituted upon coach Tim Floyd’s arrival for the 2010-11 season.
- Saturday’s Miner Legend is guard Mark Ingles, who played two seasons at UTEP (1994-96) after transferring from Mesa Community College.
- In 57 games for the Miners (50 starts), he averaged 12.3 points, 2.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals, shooting 47.2 percent from the field, 43.9 percent from three-point range and 80.3 percent from the free throw line.
- He had two 30-point games for the Miners. He scored 32 points at San Diego State on Feb. 24, 1996, and 32 against Hawaii in the WAC Tournament on March 6, 1996 in Albuquerque.
- He made six or more three point shots in five games as a Miner.
- He made 80 three pointers during the 1995-96 season, the fifth-top total in school history.
- He ranks first in school history in three-point field goal percentage (.439) and three pointers per game (2.46), and third in three-point field goals (140).
- He was a member of the All-WAC Defensive Team in 1995 and earned Academic All-WAC honors in 1996.
- The Green Wave has posted a 2-3 record since dropping its C-USA opener to UTEP, 66-57, on Jan. 9 in New Orleans.
- Tulane is 1-5 on the road, including 0-2 in C-USA action with losses at SMU (59-53) and Memphis (71-60). Tulane led 36-30 at halftime versus the Tigers at the FedExForum.
- Tulane is coming off a 58-50 setback to UCF on Wednesday at Devlin Fieldhouse. The Green Wave led by 12 points midway through the first half. Tulane has enjoyed double-digit leads at one point in each of its last four games, but has posted a 2-2 mark during that stretch.
- Junior forward Josh Davis leads Conference USA in scoring (17.5 ppg), rebounding (10.2 rpg) and double-doubles (11).
- Sophomore guard Ricky Tarrant, the 2012 C-USA Freshman of the Year, has stepped up his game in league play, averaging a team-high 17.5 points. He is 38-for-45 from the line (.844) versus Conference USA opponents.
- Tulane also has a couple of 1,000-point scorers in senior guard Jordan Callahan (10.8 ppg) and senior guard/forward Kendall Timmons (7.1 ppg).
- The Green Wave has held opponents to 59.1 points per game this season with a .424 field goal percentage and .325 three-point field goal percentage.
- Tulane has outrebounded its last three opponents (Memphis, Rice, UCF) and has a +5.9 rebound margin on the year.
- The Green Wave is second in C-USA in both scoring defense and rebound margin.
- UTEP leads the series 8-3 and has won seven of the 10 matchups between the schools since joining Conference USA.
- The Miners are 5-0 versus the Green Wave at the Haskins Center. Three of the last four games in El Paso have been decided by four points or less.
- In the first-ever matchup between the programs, Jim Barnes scored 32 points and pulled down 18 rebounds, leading Texas Western College (now UTEP) to a 76-59 win on Dec. 20, 1963 at the Arkansas State Tournament in Jonesboro. Barnes was later selected by New York with the first pick in the 1964 NBA Draft.
- UTEP’s Tim Floyd is 6-3 against Tulane in his college coaching career, including 4-1 at UTEP. Floyd faced the Green Wave four times as the head coach at New Orleans from 1988-94.