POSTED: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 6:58pm
UPDATED: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 9:15am
Las Cruces, N.M. — A witness to a fight allegedly involving a New Mexico State University basketball player Friday night said she is certain Tyrone Watson attacked a 19-year-old man at a party.
In a police report, Tyrone Watson was listed as the only suspect in an incident where 19 year-old NMSU student Miguel Rascon was allegedly choked, blacked out, and taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.
"He picked this guy up and was strangling him," said Stephanie Campos who said she was at the party. "He choked this guy out then he blacked out and he didn't know what happened to him."
Campos added she thinks the attack happened after Watson became angry at Rascon after he thought he was flirting with a girl Watson knew.
She said the attack happened very fast and was a hundred percent certain Watson was the attacker.
"I saw him do it and everyone else saw him do it," Campos said. "I mean there are witnesses."
Campos along with three others are listed on the report as witnesses to the incident and some have already spoken with police.
Campos said she was the one who drove Rascon to the hospital.
"At the hospital they thought they hit him with a hammer or bottle," Campos said of Rascon's injuries.
A family member said Rascon has facial fractures, 10 stitches, and a broken nose and went back to the hospital Monday night after having difficulty breathing.
Rascon did not want to press charges, but filed the report for investigative purposes. He has changed his mind since then.
Coach Marvin Menzies said he briefly spoke with Watson about the incident but there has been no action taken by the University of the program because no charges have been filed and no arrests have been made.
"We do know there was some type of incident and we are fact finding at the administration level right now, but as far as we know it's a non-issue for us right now," Menzies said.
Menzies said Watson will travel on the upcoming road trip.