POSTED: Sunday, January 6, 2013 - 10:52pm
UPDATED: Sunday, January 6, 2013 - 10:53pm
EL PASO — Investigators said an old chimney flue caused a house fire in Kern Place.
The owner of the home on Winter near North Stanton called 911 when he smelled smoke just before 9 p.m. Saturday.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire.
Investigators said it started when the chimney flue in the attic deteriorated and fell over catching the insulation in the attic on fire.
The chimney had been on for more than 12 hours.
The fire department wants to remind you that heating equipment and chimneys should be inspected and cleaned every year.