UTEP (5-5) and Nebraska (8-3) battle for the championship of the WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational on Sunday at the Don Haskins Center.
- The Miners are seeking their first title since 2009.
- UTEP has posted an all-time record of 78-23 in the tourney. The Miners have won titles on 28 occasions. This is UTEP’s 41st appearance in the title game in the 51-year history of the event.
- UTEP is 5-1 at home and 4-1 on its season-long seven game homestand, which will come to a close with an exhibition against Cameron on Dec. 28 at 8 p.m.
- The Miners are 15-5 in December under Tim Floyd (13-2 home, 0-2 away, 2-1 neutral site). UTEP has won 16 of its last 18 home games in December dating back to the 2009-10 season.
- This is the first meeting between the Miners and the Cornhuskers.
- UTEP is facing a Big Ten team for the first time since beating Michigan, 65-56, in the Legends Classic consolation game on Nov. 27, 2010 in Atlantic City, N.J.
- UTEP’s all-time record versus Big Ten competition is 9-16. The Miners are facing a Big Ten team on their home floor for the first time since Dec. 27, 1998, when they beat Penn State 79-60 in the Sun Bowl Invitational.
- UTEP has faced a Big Ten team in this tournament eight times (Iowa 1965, Indiana 1972, Michigan 1978 & 1983, Purdue 1984 & 1992, Ohio State 1985, Penn State 1997), and posted a 5-3 record in those games.
- UTEP Coach Tim Floyd is 3-8 against Big Ten opponents in his coaching career. His ‘88-89 New Orleans squad ended its season with a 63-61 loss at Wisconsin in the NIT. The following year, the Privateers dropped a 74-66 decision to Ohio State in the consolation game of the USF&G Sugar Bowl Tournament in New Orleans. During the 1993-94 campaign, UNO lost at home to 11th-ranked Purdue, 84-82 in overtime. Floyd was 0-2 versus the Boilermakers and 2-2 versus intrastate rival Iowa during his four seasons at Iowa State (1994-98). His final USC team (2008-09) saw its season come to a close with a 74-69 loss to Michigan State in the NCAA Tournament.
- UTEP continues to honor past greats at its home games, a policy instituted upon coach Tim Floyd’s arrival for the 2010-11 season.
- On Sunday, the Miners will honor Harry Flournoy (1963-66), the leading rebounder on the 1966 national championship team.
- He played in 83 games for Texas Western, totaling 567 points (6.8 avg.) and 836 rebounds (10.1 avg.).
- He shot 47.1 percent (229-for-486) from the field and 60.9 percent (109-for-179) from the line.
- He had 221 rebounds as a sophomore, 306 as a junior and 309 as a senior.
- He and Jim Barnes are the only two players in school history to collect 300 rebounds in two separate seasons.
- He ranks fourth in school history with 836 rebounds.
- His career rebounding average of 10.1 is third in school history behind Jim Barnes (17.9) and Ed Haller (12.0).
- He had 16 double-doubles.
- He earned second team All-District honors by the NABC in 1965.